• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is anyone aware of GFSI Certified Vacuum Bags?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

hdmcminn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

Is anyone aware of GFSI Certified Vacuum Bags? If not, as a small company, will we successfully ask vendors to fill out supplier surveys?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,667 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:07 PM

No, and GFSI does not certify.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

Is anyone aware of GFSI Certified Vacuum Bags? If not, as a small company, will we successfully ask vendors to fill out supplier surveys?

Hi hdm,

I'm guessing you refer to something like this -

https://www.orved.it...acuum-bags.html

or perhaps -

https://www.apcfilte...um-cleaner-bag/

(the latter mentions UL, the former seems anonymous)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

Hi hdm,

To clarify, are you looking to source vac pack bags from a supplier that holds a GFSI bench-marked accreditation scheme?

If so and you're in Europe, Scobie does a large range of vacuum bags and they hold BRC S&D and Food Safety (they do spices and the like too).

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

To be clear, GFSI does not certify certain products or packaging, they will certify a production facility as GFSI compliant. I would urge you to have a supplier approval program, and as a part of this request copies of the most recent audit with findings and corrective actions. Sealed Air/Cryovac is the largest supplier of these types of products in the USA, I would suggest looking into them if you are located in North America. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:53 AM

To be clear, GFSI does not certify certain products or packaging, they will certify a production facility as GFSI compliant. I would urge you to have a supplier approval program, and as a part of this request copies of the most recent audit with findings and corrective actions. Sealed Air/Cryovac is the largest supplier of these types of products in the USA, I would suggest looking into them if you are located in North America. 

Hi Jpainter -

I'm not too sure of the above statement although it is supported by the (GFSI) claim below.

From a GFSI/CGF Publication -

Today, GFSI  and its global partners audit and certify more than 1 00,000 food operations  and facilities in 160 countries annually and the numbers continue to grow. These include fish processing plants in Norway, avocado operations in Mexico, poultry processing plants in the United States, spice producers in India, and others throughout the world.

“GFSI CERTIFICATION”
Despite the popular misconception, GFSI does not issue food safety certificates. Rather, GFSI brings together food safety experts from industry, government, non-government organizations, consumer groups and global institutions around the world to develop the best food safety management practices in a given industry sector (scope).

Attached File  GFSI Certification.pdf   277.45KB   6 downloads

My Questions -

(1) GFSI performs audits ? Validation ?

(2) GFSI certifies without issuing certificates. How ?

IMO the terminology "GFSI Certification" is simply a Promotional tool. Misinformation ?.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

Hi hdmcminn,

It would be useful to know what you are doing with these bags and if they are for food contact?

This can be quite confusing, but I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.

GFSI approve/benchmark certification schemes such as the BRC (Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials) and the SQF (Food Safety Code for Manufacture of Food Packaging).

Accreditation bodies must then meet each schemes' 'Requirements for Accreditation Bodies' and accredit Certification Bodies for defined/licensed scopes.

Certification bodies conduct certification audits and issue certificates.

Hi Jpainter -

I'm not too sure of the above statement although it is supported by the (GFSI) claim below.

From a GFSI/CGF Publication -

attachicon.gif GFSI Certification.pdf

My Questions -

(1) GFSI performs audits ? Validation ?

(2) GFSI certifies without issuing certificates. How ?

IMO the terminology "GFSI Certification" is simply a Promotional tool. Misinformation ?.

Agreed (also see above), promotional misinformation 'Today, GFSI and its global partners audit and certify more than 100,000 food operations and facilities in 160 countries annually' adds to the confusion.

Kind regards,

Tony

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

You are correct in that GFSI does not certify facilities itself. I was stating a facility that is certified through a 3rd party using GFSI standards

hdmcminn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thank you. That it what I meant. We passed our audit but received a minor for not supplying adequate third party audits, ect. for our packaging materials. We are a small meat plant and we are primarily packaging primals. So yes, our packaging materials are a food contact surface.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

May I ask which scheme the audit is for? Also what is your current supplier approval method for this packaging supplier?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

You are correct in that GFSI does not certify facilities itself. I was stating a facility that is certified through a 3rd party using GFSI standards

Seems to me that you added to the confusion?

hdmcminn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

We are just finishing corrective actions for SQF Level 2. We had been requiring letters of guaranty but now I have a form for vendors to fill out. Our auditor said that most packaging companies get third party audits and we should be able to get copies of those but so far it has been difficult to get any cooperation so I was looking to take a different path by finding a SQF Certified maker of food packaging materials. I was hoping that someone would be able to provide the name of a company that they are using.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

We are just finishing corrective actions for SQF Level 2. We had been requiring letters of guaranty but now I have a form for vendors to fill out. Our auditor said that most packaging companies get third party audits and we should be able to get copies of those but so far it has been difficult to get any cooperation so I was looking to take a different path by finding a SQF Certified maker of food packaging materials. I was hoping that someone would be able to provide the name of a company that they are using.

It is quite a specific use, I would suggest that you keep asking on the forum to keep the topic current. What's the problem with your current supplier, it appears that they are not supplying 'food packaging'?

hdmcminn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:56 PM

They just have not supplied me with a filled out supplier form or a copy of a third party audit. I don't feel they have inherent quality  issues or we wouldn't be using them.

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

Tony, please inform me how that adds to the confusion. I was clarifying an earlier statement. 

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:41 AM

hdmcminn,

Am I correct in saying that you don't have any issue with your supplier's product itself - the issue is that you don't have sufficient documentation from them to satisfy the SQF auditor for "supplier approval and risk assessment" and therefore received a minor non-comp because of this? I'm not familiar with SQF but could see how this could be an issue with BRC.

There was a discussion recently regarding difficulty in getting various information from suppliers:

https://www.ifsqn.co...er +information

If after explanation that you require their certificate/HACCP/questionnaire (or audit if feasible) to continue business with them, they still refuse to provide said documents then I guess you would need to source from another supplier. Unfortunately I don't know of any SQF certified bag supplier in your part of the world (US yep?) but hopefully someone will have some suggestions

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users