• Quick Navigation
Photo

New to cannabis industry, looking forward to discussing topics and learning in this new area

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

So here I am first day new industry!  I'm looking forward to posting new questions and picking at the international knowledge base!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

It will be interesting to see the difference in food regulation to this new industry. Best of luck, and I look forward hearing to hearing more about this!

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

So here I am first day new industry!  I'm looking forward to posting new questions and picking at the international knowledge base!

Congratulations!

You have a wealth of knowledge with you, so i'm sure you will do very good in your new industry!

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

Very interesting! Can you share more about your products?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:21 PM

right now in Canada cannabis is only legal in dried form (for recreation). Oil and edibles are currently in draft with an expected go live date of October 17 2019

Looks like I will have to combine the new SFCR with the current cannabis regulations. 

I will keep everyone posted as I learn more!

Thanks Majoy!

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

Is there any backing as to why the cannabis and their byproducts are being approved to be legal? Similar to what Portugal did with their heroin problem or do you think this is more to compete against the tobacco monopolies? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:03 AM

Hi Scampi,

Best of Luck !

Is this what they mean by being on the cutting rolling edge ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 April 2019 - 01:52 PM

Oh Charles, you so funny!  We actually do pre rolls RONFLOL

It's not a dangerous substance, and yes, part of it is getting the mobs and gangs to have less control.  But I'm thinking mostly its because its an easy cash cow for government. The bad guys were the ones getting rich, and using pot money to fund really really bad enterprises

When you start talking about taking a job in this industry, you find out really quickly just how much of the population actually uses it. So why not, if its government controlled, that means its safer, not cut with things like fentanyl or heroine (yes that does happen all over the world and people die as a result)  Plus we are wasting soooooooooo much money policing regular folks for having one joint in their pocket.

If this didn't sit right with my morals and integrity, I would never have taken the job.  But, the $$$$$$ is pretty good!

dpogones

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

Good morning all,

I look forward to this Cannabis thread growing as the market and regulatory framework continues to mature. I am the Quality Manager at an ERP Software company that helps companies comply with seed-to-sale tracing systems. I bring over 12 years of Food and Beverage industry experience in food safety and quality for both USDA and FDA regulated products. Along with this new industry, we have a lot to learn and I would be more than happy to share the expertise I have learned over the last year (and continue to learn daily) with anyone that is interested. And in turn, I would love to learn from you as well!

Areas I can help assist in are:

- General cGMP Compliance for Cannabis Industry

- HACCP for Cannabis Industry

- ERP Software for seed-to-sale

- Networking for special labs to test your products when it comes to Food, Beverages and Cannabis.

I look forward to hoping hearing from some of you. 

Thanks,

Drew Pogones

Edited by Charles.C, 18 April 2019 - 05:08 PM.
email deleted, spam magnet

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:23 PM

It's not a dangerous substance, and yes, part of it is getting the mobs and gangs to have less control.  But I'm thinking mostly its because its an easy cash cow for government. The bad guys were the ones getting rich, and using pot money to fund really really bad enterprises

When you start talking about taking a job in this industry, you find out really quickly just how much of the population actually uses it. So why not, if its government controlled, that means its safer, not cut with things like fentanyl or heroine (yes that does happen all over the world and people die as a result)  Plus we are wasting soooooooooo much money policing regular folks for having one joint in their pocket.

If this didn't sit right with my morals and integrity, I would never have taken the job.  But, the $$$$$$ is pretty good!

I'm definitely tempted with the $$$$$$$ too and the number of calls from recruiters is staggering! but i'm worried to be associated with the industry and not be able to cross south of the border, my family is based there, so not ready to transition yet. Best of luck! 

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

I'm definitely tempted with the $$$$$$$ too and the number of calls from recruiters is staggering! but i'm worried to be associated with the industry and not be able to cross south of the border, my family is based there, so not ready to transition yet. Best of luck! 

Where could I reach out? Would it be a problem if I'm a U.S citizen trying to work in Canada? I wouldn't mind the move if its worth it. I live in the midwest where the climate is pretty much the same. 

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:19 PM

Oh, interesting! Best of luck, Scampi!

I'm looking forward to future discussions on this industry. I'm going to say we are soon going to have yet another section to add to the IFSQN board! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:42 PM

I have heard that for Canadians if you  INVEST or WORK in the cannabis industry, you may be barred entry into the united states, so one could safely assume that it would be the same for US citizens.  I just tried to find some "legitimate" information on the subject, but (no big surprise here) cannot

The trouble is, I think passports also list your employer when the CBSA agents look at the screen............but I've not heard any issue from my coworkers and 1 was at the masters tourney just 2 weeks ago.............so perhaps the issue is overinflated (shocker I know!!!)

And too all who groan about the food regulations---------------------wait to you try to wade into health canada !!!!!

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Good for you Scampi & some parts of USA might be interested in your new skills.  

I go to Oregon a lot (work) & the use of cannabis has been decriminalised there. 

In Oregon I can go to a local dispensary for CBD patches & oil to treat my severe osteoarthritis when I am working in that state, this completely stops the pain in my hips - which is brilliant,  but obviously I can't  bring anything back to UK where we still have draconian laws on what you can & can't use for pain relief.

My employer is thinking about developing cannabis related products for the local Oregon market too, so I know where to come for advice!!.

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:08 PM

I go to Oregon a lot (work) & the use of cannabis has been decriminalised there. 

In Oregon I can go to a local dispensary for CBD patches & oil to treat my severe osteoarthritis when I am working in that state, this completely stops the pain in my hips - which is brilliant,  but obviously I can't  bring anything back to UK where we still have draconian laws on what you can & can't use for pain relief.

My employer is thinking about developing cannabis related products for the local Oregon market too, so I know where to come for advice!!.

You would like Colorado and Washington state as well (both decriminalized areas). However, CBD oil from hemp is legal in all 50 states. I used to get high volume (2000+mg) per ml for my mother who had cancer, and it was one of the only things that helped her pain.

However, CBD oil containing THC is what is illegal out of those states which you already know. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:23 PM

You would like Colorado and Washington state as well (both decriminalized areas). However, CBD oil from hemp is legal in all 50 states. I used to get high volume (2000+mg) per ml for my mother who had cancer, and it was one of the only things that helped her pain.

However, CBD oil containing THC is what is illegal out of those states which you already know. 

kkalpakidis 

Yes, agreed, it is really effective & as the use of CBD oil is relatively new in UK, so uncontrolled (as yet) you never really know what you're getting... with proper controls the quality can be tested as per USA suppliers & dispensaries

Maybe the UK will clarify the position on this in the future, but at present I wouldn't want to bring anything that might contain any THC (even traces)  into the country.

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

Next time you go, get a slice from Escape from New York Pizza on NW 23rd, then wash it down with a Triple Chocolate Espresso milkshake from Coffee People across the street :)

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM

:gitane: Best of luck, Scampi.

As others have said, I'll be interested to see how this moves forward.
I guess here in the US we are a little ahead of the curve, in that "edibles" are allowed in certain places.

I can't see the FDA doing much on that in the coming years. Perhaps as Canada comes on line with items other than "dried", you might have an opportunity to lead the way.

Marshall

MCole

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

Hello all,

I am new to the industry having just started 2 months ago with a company that manufactures CBD products in Denver, CO. We'll be distributing those nationally. We also have a separate facility that manufactures THC products. I've been tasked with building a food grade cGMP program for the CBD side. The FDA is undecided on how they will regulate CBD, and it might come down as a dietary supplement so we're considering the potential for that as well. Although GMP certification is currently out of the question for the THC side, we are implementing GMP practices there too.

Having done Quality in a different industry this is all new and exciting to me. Plus the perks are great!

MC

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

GMP out of the question for the THC side???  Why is that?  We have to have a GPP plan in place

Working through our recall plan the last couple of days.....

LOL on the perks MC!

MCole

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:32 PM

Because Cannabis isn't legal federally here in the states THC manufacturing facilities will not be recognized by GMP certifying organizations who, I assume, get their authority from the FDA. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

wow, that's a messy situation..........i cannot understand the logic behind not changing federal laws..............oh wait yes I can......

Here, provinces do not have the ability to change federal laws/jurisdiction so my province doesn't have the power to apply a provincial law that is convention of the federal law

I have let new boss know during interview that the company needs to be fully prepared to be audited by health canada and CFIA..........i cannot forsee a future whereby health canada would be responsible for food safety inspections

Agent-17025

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:34 PM

To my fellow IFSQN members who are entering into the cannabis/hemp product space remember to seek out ISO/IEC17025 accredited testing labs for your products. GMPs will be important for the industry but ensuring your raw materials are free of pesticides, residual solvents, and microbial contamination will be the first line of defense.

Questionable labs with critical lack of competence are popping up in this industry be very aware and ask good questions when selecting a cannabis/hemp testing laboratory for your products.

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

Just found this thread, awesome!

I just went to the police station last month to send my fingerprints off to the FBI for a 10 year background check in application for a Hemp license just to process CBD. As a co-manufacture we have people coming out of from everywhere asking to do everything from CBD infused water, soda, tinctures, encapsulations , stick-packs, sachets, even PET TREATS! It is a mad scramble for cash and the hastiness is evident as many of them are "half-baked" plans  :potplant:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

Just found this thread, awesome!

I just went to the police station last month to send my fingerprints off to the FBI for a 10 year background check in application for a Hemp license just to process CBD. As a co-manufacture we have people coming out of from everywhere asking to do everything from CBD infused water, soda, tinctures, encapsulations , stick-packs, sachets, even PET TREATS! It is a mad scramble for cash and the hastiness is evident as many of them are "half-baked" plans  :potplant:

cannabis abounds with puns!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users