• Quick Navigation
Photo

Being IFS/BRC auditor: how your life is?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

csesc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

Hello everybody

I've been thinking become an ifs/brc auditor, but I need to know from you how my life will be. I mean, do you spend much time travelling? how many audits do you lead per week? Are you freelance or part of a certification body?

Thanks for your answers

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

Hi Crisescu,

I was an SQF Auditor and was an employee for one company for about 4 years and then went independent when I decided to transition to being an SQF Consultant.

If you work for a company you are bound by when and where you are sent to do work.  The company I worked for required that I made a statement every week that I worked 40 hours (the standard work week in the USA) when in fact my working hours were more like 80 hours - this included preparation, driving and flying on company business, setting up the corrective actions for each completed audit and then having to review the submissions from the facilities that were audited.

A typical week meant preparing, packing up on a Sunday, heading to the airport on a Monday morning around 4am, flying on average 2-3 hours (sometimes 5-6 hours), getting a rental car on the other end, going straight to an audit location, leaving in the afternoon and checking into a hotel - getting up next morning - checking out and going to the same audit location, completing the audit, drop off the rental car and repeat the process again - on Thrusday nights I'd stay at the same hotel for the 2nd audit (given 2-days at each location) and then return the car the next morning, get on a jet and fly home -- on the plane I'd write up the audits and the corrective actions.  Normal at home time was 8pm - Saturday's I'd unpack, do laundry, have some time with family and look at my travel pack (the company would fedex the auditors a pack containing needed supplies, tickets, etc).

That was a smooth week.

However, most weeks did not work out that way.

You can make a good amount of money being a employed auditor - but it comes with a bit of stress, you have to be mentally prepared for the rigors of the position as well as travel, travel related and being away from family - if you can balance that out you are good to go.

As an Auditor I was effectively operating as an island, meaning I ran the logistics for myself while on the road, doing flight changes, switching hotels, timing, handling delays and handling stress that is caused by facility personal in their reactions to bad news, or simply personality conflicts.

The company I worked for was initially good for me, but then a change in management caused a slave driving issue and that is when I decided to leave, they had the auditors running 7 days a week for weeks on end and that means you have no life.

I was glad my background includes being an SQF Auditor becuase is compliments my abilities in being a great SQF Consultant.

If you become an Auditor, just remember -- take care of yourself and be sure to be home as often as possible with the ones that matter the most.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 3 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

I've never been a third party auditor, but I've known many quite well over the years. On the face of it a good steady job with a reasonable salary and benefits.  Getting to see lots of different plants and meet lots of people. However, a lot of travelling and nowadays audits are very onerous with a lot of requirements to check during the audit and very detailed report writing.  Most auditors complain about like of time and work much more than their contracted hours writing reports at evenings and weekends. A bit laborious and repetitive for me, but better than working down a coal mine.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brc, ifs, auditor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users