Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:15 PM

We have quite a few suppliers we use at my facility and most of them use a different set of standards other than SQF.  As such quite a few of our suppliers don't have 3rd party audit information.  I know the code states that a register of audits of approved suppliers shall be maintained but, is it really necessary for me to travel to each location and conduct my own 3rd party audit in order to retrieve the required documentation?  Our suppliers are from all over the country so I would probably be spending a good majority of my year just travelling to conduct these audits.  Do any of you have any alternative solutions?

Thank you

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

If you are talking about general suppliers and not contract suppliers (contract suppliers make your product and put it in your packaging thus for all intents it appears to have come direct from your company) they are not required to be GFSI certified (eg - SQF, BRC, FSSC, IFS, etc etc).

Assuming general suppliers you should have a complete audit on file for each one and I am asuming your approval process requires this.

If that is the case and you don't use an alternate method that is allowed by SQF (check the codes) you can either go and do your own audits or commission an auditing company to do it for you and you pay them or your supplier pays for it or you can engage an experienced person such as myself or others to do so on your behalf.

So, you have some choices.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

I am the SQF Practitioner at a food packaging company so we have materials versus ingredients. I send a Food Safety Self Audit to each supplier and asked them to complete it. if they are GFSI certified then they did not need to complete it. An example is attached.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

As always, it depends on the standard that you are audited against.

BRC allows you to accept non-GFSI food safety audits of your suppliers, with the proviso that they have to supply you with the actual audit report that you need to review.

It's certainly not the intention of that standard that you have to physically audit all of your suppliers.

I guess some more context might be in order.

Marshall

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:23 AM

I am the SQF Practitioner at a food packaging company so we have materials versus ingredients. I send a Food Safety Self Audit to each supplier and asked them to complete it. if they are GFSI certified then they did not need to complete it. An example is attached.

Sorry, no attachment ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

00half

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

As always, it depends on the standard that you are audited against.

BRC allows you to accept non-GFSI food safety audits of your suppliers, with the proviso that they have to supply you with the actual audit report that you need to review.

It's certainly not the intention of that standard that you have to physically audit all of your suppliers.

I guess some more context might be in order.

Marshall

We are audited against the SQF Standard for food packaging, we don't handle any food product at our facility.  

00half

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:59 AM

I like the idea of sending them a self audit worksheet.  I am unable to see any sort of attachment, if you could send me one I would appreciate it.

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

For some reason, I could not attach it before.  

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audit, supplier, documentation, 3rd party audit, supplier approval, sqf, packaging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users