Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Hello everyone.  I am new to the Bakery world.  The Bakery I am working at recently implemented a pest control program with a 3rd party company.  They have interior fly traps, interior catch traps, and exterior rodent bait stations.  I was surprised to learn that there is no monitoring for moths or bettles.  With raw material storage and accumulation in the production area, wouldn't this be necessary?  Where can I find more information about the pests of concern in a bakery?  I would like to share

Note - the bakery is not currently AIB inspected or certified but this is something we are working towards.  Thank you!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

First go to the PCO and review their visit records with you.

There may not be a history of moths and bettles - however, we've worked with a lot of bakeries and I don't ever remember any of them not having moth and bettle preventors in place.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:
TJW

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:
TJW

TJW

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:19 AM

First go to the PCO and review their visit records with you.

There may not be a history of moths and bettles - however, we've worked with a lot of bakeries and I don't ever remember any of them not having moth and bettle preventors in place.

I thought so too Glenn.  I was surprised that the PCO had not recommended that when they began the service (which was about a month ago).

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:42 PM

Interesting. My food commodity facility have a bakery area but not a full blown bakery and we do have moths especially in the summer. I was told these came when they used to have organic flours etc. So if you're dealing with organic materials there is higher chance on the presence of these pests.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

TJW

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

Spoke with the PCO, they do not recommend anything for moths or beetles...this seems very odd to me.  The PCO is a well-known, reputable company.

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

Look into these: 

https://www.pestfree...eQaAkDaEALw_wcB

We use them in our warehousing and material storage areas.  Covers a wide range of moths and we do get them from our PCO.  You may have to bring these up to the PCO for sourcing and adding to the pest trap site map.  We are fortunate to have an onsite Pest Control Board Licensed staff member who assists with the pest control program and offers great insight to our food safety team.  

As for beetles - this is covered internally, mainly for Red Flour Beetles (we are a tortilla bakery, SQF FS Code Certified), and this is through rotation of raw materials and inspection of harborage areas (overhead lights, etc.).  During high season of anticipated beetle activity, we will pre-inspect bags (open them up) at receipt for verification.  This doesn't account for excess storage in which there can still be larvae and infestation, hence the continued efforts of internal inspection.  

Just some thoughts into your inquiry and good luck in your endevours!

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:
TJW

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Hello everyone.  I am new to the Bakery world.  The Bakery I am working at recently implemented a pest control program with a 3rd party company.  They have interior fly traps, interior catch traps, and exterior rodent bait stations.  I was surprised to learn that there is no monitoring for moths or bettles.  With raw material storage and accumulation in the production area, wouldn't this be necessary?  Where can I find more information about the pests of concern in a bakery?  I would like to share

Note - the bakery is not currently AIB inspected or certified but this is something we are working towards.  Thank you!

A lot depends on the ingredients used, the construction of the facility and the robustness of the Sanitation program.
If you have a lot of ingredients sitting around for a long period of time, and you see evidence of Indian Meal Moths, for example, or if you have a bunch of flour sitting in your overheads, and have seen evidence of Confused Flour Beetles, certainly you can have your PCO put out monitoring stations.

But, you already know there is a problem. Monitoring stations are not going to help until you remove the infestation. After that, monitors would be in order.

On the other hand, if there has been no evidence of these pests, and you just want to "make sure", feel free to monitor for the insects you might not have.

That being said, ILT's, catch traps and bait stations are pretty much industry standard.
You have to have a really good sanitation program to prevent the other things.

Marshall

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users