Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:17 PM

I've recently taken over a Quality Department position with my company (3PL), and have been tasked with showing auditors around. I have an audit coming up and have a question about what the difference is between a basic HACCP Plan and a Seafood HACCP Plan. My facility stores very little seafood. I'm just a little confused on what the difference is between the two and why they may not correlate with one another. 

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

I've recently taken over a Quality Department position with my company (3PL), and have been tasked with showing auditors around. I have an audit coming up and have a question about what the difference is between a basic HACCP Plan and a Seafood HACCP Plan. My facility stores very little seafood. I'm just a little confused on what the difference is between the two and why they may not correlate with one another. 

MW1414,

IMO: No need to be confused as they both are the same in terms of Hazard analysis.

The difference is that prior FSMA food companies were not required (by regulation, nor are required now) to maintain a HACCP plan with the exception of Seafood, Juice and Low acid canned foods (LACF).

As by regulation a processor, manufacturer or holder of these foods (Seafood, Juice and Low acid canned foods (LACF) is required to have a documented HACCP plan 

Therefore, if you do have other products and you want to include it in your HACCP plan, it can be done (though the hazards will be different for all product types).

Post FSMA, your seafood will be exempted, however, now you will require a Preventive control plan for all your other products (unless exempted).

Hope it helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:21 AM

It depends what you interpret as a "Basic haccp Plan" . = As per FSMA requirements? As per USDA requirements ? etc etc

afaik, in USA a "seafood haccp plan" will be interpreted as per usfda requiremenmts in the FDA Fishery hazards Guide

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users