• Quick Navigation
Photo

Unshucked Oyster Metal Detection

Share this

Best Answer , 02 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

We have worked with a major clam and oyster farming operation, harvester and packer.  They ship raw fresh unshucked and also shucked clams and oysters in plastic buckets and #10 metal cans.

The facility has never had a metal detector and based on a written risk assessment  none was needed and they passed their SQF audit with flying colors.  What they do have however is an extensive laboratory operation for potential pathogens and to safe guard the health of their 300,000 acres of aqua-farming beds.

An additional client on the Gulf of Mexico pasturizes (using water) their oysters and also sells frozen and fresh oysters in shell as well as banded. 

They also do not have a metal detector.

I see no basis for a metal detector your operation.

The only "warning" on the package (and mesh bagged label) is that oysters and clams may contain sand particles.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

SamuraiOyster

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Japan
    Japan

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:37 AM

Hello!

We are working on certifying fresh and frozen un-shucked oysters. Right now we have records and monitoring for seawater at the farming cites (not our control but provided by farmers and the prefecture), so we're not interested in heavy metal detection. The farmers do not use metal detectors before they provide us with the cleaned shells at this time. Though it seems unlikely, because we can't explain (no research on) how it's unlikely that metal may find it's way into the mouth of a raw oyster, I assume we need to detect metal for these raw and frozen un-shucked oysters.

Can anyone help point us towards scholarly research on metal detection for un-shucked oysters? Would it be possible to simply include a warning that un-shucked oysters could contain metal on our packages? Or, if it is absolutely necessary, perhaps this is research we'll need to conduct ourselves?

Thank you in advance!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:23 PM   Best Answer

We have worked with a major clam and oyster farming operation, harvester and packer.  They ship raw fresh unshucked and also shucked clams and oysters in plastic buckets and #10 metal cans.

The facility has never had a metal detector and based on a written risk assessment  none was needed and they passed their SQF audit with flying colors.  What they do have however is an extensive laboratory operation for potential pathogens and to safe guard the health of their 300,000 acres of aqua-farming beds.

An additional client on the Gulf of Mexico pasturizes (using water) their oysters and also sells frozen and fresh oysters in shell as well as banded. 

They also do not have a metal detector.

I see no basis for a metal detector your operation.

The only "warning" on the package (and mesh bagged label) is that oysters and clams may contain sand particles.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic