The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

Good Morning!

SQF nerds,

So my company was using a cert body for their SQF audit last year. This year they want to change cert bodies. How will this affect our registration with SQFI? They informed us that if we withdraw from them, we wont be able to register for a year. Can someone advise? This is the email I received from the CB:

Please advise on the below email. If we do not receive a response by the end of the day Monday, we will move forward with the withdrawal process. Please be aware that as part of SQF’s policy, any withdrawn sites will not be able to reregister for a year, so it is crucial that if you have transferred this certification, please inform us of this so we can update our records and not withdraw your certificate through SQFI.

The issue is out of my reach. It's what top management want... :/ 

Edited by The Food Scientist, 06 May 2019 - 03:13 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

I am not so sure about the 1 year thing. I have had clients transfer to a different CB - the catch is however that the transfer be done after the yearly audit.  There is a transfer procedure that must be done.  

1. You contact the new CB and tell them you want to transfer from XXX -- and they handle the transfer.

2. You contact the "old" CB and tell them you are in process of transferring to another CB.

3. If you run into a problem becuase your "old" CB is a bunch of jerks - you contact SQFI directly by phone.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

I am not so sure about the 1 year thing. I have had clients transfer to a different CB - the catch is however that the transfer be done after the yearly audit.  There is a transfer procedure that must be done.  

1. You contact the new CB and tell them you want to transfer from XXX -- and they handle the transfer.

2. You contact the "old" CB and tell them you are in process of transferring to another CB.

3. If you run into a problem becuase your "old" CB is a bunch of jerks - you contact SQFI directly by phone.

Actually our SQF audit is due VERY soon. Our window is open. But top management want to change. I think this is where the trouble falls. Like you mentioned: "transfer shall be done after the yearly audit"..

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

Actually our SQF audit is due VERY soon. Our window is open. But top management want to change. I think this is where the trouble falls. Like you mentioned: "transfer shall be done after the yearly audit"..

Tell your management unless they have extremely compelling reasons along with evidence for a change just prior to the audit - a transfer will not fly and a withdrawal/suspension will occur.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 06 May 2019 - 04:17 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Tell your management unless they have extremely compelling reasons along with evidence for a change just prior to the audit - a transfer will not fly and a withdrawal/suspension will occur.

I already know the reason why (trying to play dumb until I find me another position)- like in my previous posts if you remember,  I mentioned they were given a score of 100 with a specific auditor they wanted. This auditor is no longer employed by the CB. Which is why they want to change. 

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

I already know the reason why (trying to play dumb until I find me another position)- like in my previous posts if you remember,  I mentioned they were given a score of 100 with a specific auditor they wanted. This auditor is no longer employed by the CB. Which is why they want to change. 

So upper management either is afraid of putting in the work or afraid of failing? 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

So upper management either is afraid of putting in the work or afraid of failing? 

Both !  People need to understand that SQF requires TIME. They don't want to take the time and implement it properly! 

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Both !  People need to understand that SQF requires TIME. They don't want to take the time and implement it properly! 

So they don't realize that a recall is far more expensive than the time and effort put into implementing SQF correctly? I have dealt with some hypocritical comments and actions where I work, but not to the extent of wanting to put in the time and effort. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,504 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

and folks wonder why GFSI has not decreased the # of recalls..................................everything has a price tag, even integrity for some folks......................ASAIC, this should be illegal and the facility fined.  If they'll go this far, i can just imagine what actually occurs in the facility

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

for the time being I am just trying my best to implement SQF and regulatory compliance as much as I can. I have informed them its not a 2 month process. It needs at least 6 months. 

So they don't realize that a recall is far more expensive than the time and effort put into implementing SQF correctly? I have dealt with some hypocritical comments and actions where I work, but not to the extent of wanting to put in the time and effort. 

Its supposedly because they barely had any recalls in the past....

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

Your management people deserve to be suspended from SQF.

Once they figure out the loss of customer $$$ they might see that SQF is an investment that pays dividends.

What a shame on them.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,504 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Its supposedly because they barely had any recalls in the past....

barely had any??????????????????????

Wow, I don't mean to come down on you, but I'm gobsmacked at that statement. The whole idea behind a food safety plan (that's well written AND implemented) is to PREVENT recalls from happening at all    

Tell management zero is the target and you won't settle for anything less

PS------there are anonymous ways to report companies...................just sayin'  to the FDA AND SQF

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

Wow, I don't mean to come down on you, but I'm gobsmacked at that statement. The whole idea behind a food safety plan (that's well written AND implemented) is to PREVENT recalls from happening at all    

PS------there are anonymous ways to report companies...................just sayin'  to the FDA AND SQF

Don't forget OSHA for workplace hazards. If they aren't taking food safety seriously, what are the chances that worker safety is on the top of their list? 

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

Shady management. You should start looking for a new job.

You wouldn't want to be associated to this company because it will ruin your reputation and eventually your advocacy to food safety and quality as a QA person.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like your upper management knew in the backs of their minds that their score wasn't a true representation of their quality system, but (in part due to the careless and negligent actions of the previous auditor, who is not without fault), have allowed themselves to believe it is acceptable . IMO - they made this bed, so let them lay. Maybe being properly audited will bring the light and spark change. If after an audit by a new auditor they are not willing to put in the work on their quality system, then it may be best to move on. Quickly.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Shady management. You should start looking for a new job.

You wouldn't want to be associated to this company because it will ruin your reputation and eventually your advocacy to food safety and quality as a QA person.

Trust me I am looking for another position! Very soon! I really care about my career & future in Food Safety! 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like your upper management knew in the backs of their minds that their score wasn't a true representation of their quality system, but (in part due to the careless and negligent actions of the previous auditor, who is not without fault), have allowed themselves to believe it is acceptable . IMO - they made this bed, so let them lay. Maybe being properly audited will bring the light and spark change. If after an audit by a new auditor they are not willing to put in the work on their quality system, then it may be best to move on. Quickly.

Exactly. My job right now is to fix it, hopefully get them back on track in doing the right thing (while still looking for another position). 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

I do want to report to the CB first... hopefully keeping it anonymous. 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Question for people in management positions:

If I get interviewed. what would be a valid reason of my departure from this company? I do want to say the truth so bad but professionally, isnt acceptable.

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

Question for people in management positions:

If I get interviewed. what would be a valid reason of my departure from this company? I do want to say the truth so bad but professionally, isnt acceptable.

Depends on your length of employment with the current employer.... something along the lines of "better opportunity", "career growth" are acceptable... if they inquire on a short tenure, then "differences in food safety culture implementation" is a nice way of putting it.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Depends on your length of employment with the current employer.... something along the lines of "better opportunity", "career growth" are acceptable... if they inquire on a short tenure, then "differences in food safety culture implementation" is a nice way of putting it.

I just completed 3 months only   :shutup:

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

I agree with "differences in food safety culture implementation". 

You could tell them the truth. Just need to be professional about it. Something like, "My food safety environment was not being met to my standards." It shows that you put in the effort to make change, yet your high standard was not met. My experience in telling the truth has worked in my favor. It only built an immediate trust versus sugar coating it. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

If I'm in your situation, I will let them know the real reason but in a professional statement. If they won't take it well, its up to them.

When you interview for the next job, you can be honest as to why you left the previous job and let the new potential employer know how you are as a QA person so they will know if you are a good fit to them.

This is why when i interview in a company, i also try to see how the management deals with food safety. I don't want to work with a company who's just going to put my name on paper as QA.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

If you have fifteen minutes, I would suggest watching this Ted Talk. Very interesting way to look at how to proceed at working every day. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

If you have fifteen minutes, I would suggest watching this Ted Talk. Very interesting way to look at how to proceed at working every day. 

Thank you but It won't load :(  is there another form you can attach it as?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users