Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

We just built a honey bottling room inside of our warehouse, and I would like some advice on the best recommended sealant for a corrugated sheet metal to sealed concrete junction.

As you may see from the attached photos, there are some gaps from the wall to floor. We will have a daily wash down on the floor and possibly smaller area wash downs in the room throughout the production day. The drain in the bottling room is on the opposite side of the room from an area outside of the room that can potentially standing water (small puddle) if left un-squeegeed. If this happens, it will take a great deal of work to clean the floor inside the room (going from across the room around the bottling line... introducing another drain is not an option at this time) if a good seal is not in place.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Flexible silicone is probably your best option.........would image you'll have some flex in the wall and this will move with it..............relatively inexpensive, easy to replace and keep clean

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:
KRG

KRG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

Thanks! We've used this sealant in the past for another building in our warehouse (same sheet to concrete), and it seems to be holding up fine. I just wanted to ask around, as I wasn't sure if it was the best choice.

Attached Files

LDG_Honey

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 14 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

silicone caulking is a solution, though I would go ahead and seal the whole floor using polyurethane or epoxy sealant and just ride up the sealant to the wall, making a smooth transition

I used sika 261 https://can.sika.com...02a004sa56.html

Thanked by 1 Member:
KRG

JohannesTrithemius

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

A more time consuming effort would be to create concrete forms and to raise the floor exactly where the wall is. Pour some store bought concrete (mixed with stones or sand if you're cheap) into the forms. This will prevent water runoff and pests from travelling in/out, and will look super cool with a coat of paint. Then I'd put anchor a metal framing to attach the tin wall to; that or 2x4s.

Thanked by 1 Member:
KRG

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sealant, silicone, maintenance, construction, building

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users