Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

We will be building a small room addition to our R&D kitchen that extends into the warehouse. This room will be designated for packing retail into 8 oz bags versus our standard 40 pound boxes before sending it to Amazon to sell. I know SQF Module 15 is the module that covers retail. I have several questions.

What should I be concerned about regarding the construction and SQF? It will not be next to production but in the FG warehouse.

Do we need to be re-audited after this room is completed?

Once everything is in place for retail, do we need to be audited for the retail portion to add it to our scope or can that wait until our audit next year? (Our audit was April 16 & 17, 2019).

Should the room also be constructed so that it can be washed down (cleaned & santitized)?

Other items I need to be concerned about?

Thank you for any and all feedback!

K

Edited by Charles.C, 15 May 2019 - 01:11 PM.
posts combined

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

We will be building a small room addition to our R&D kitchen that extends into the warehouse. This room will be designated for packing retail into 8 oz bags versus our standard 40 pound boxes before sending it to Amazon to sell. I know SQF Module 15 is the module that covers retail. I have several questions.

Do we need to be re-audited after this room is completed?

Once everything is in place for retail, do we need to be audited for the retail portion to add it to our scope or can that wait until our audit next year? (Our audit was April 16 & 17, 2019).

Thank you for any and all feedback!

K

We have several clients that have rooms that are devoted to "retail" sales via Amazon, their own websites, etc.

FSC 24 for Retail with Module 15 primarily applies to full "retail" operations such as Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Ralph's, Ingles, etc.

It would not apply to your operation unless it was an entirely free standing space and/or you had shoppers coming in.

Assuming you are already SQF and the R&D kitchen is a part of the scope - you simply need to contact your CB and tell them what you are doing and ask if they will need to schedule a visit to look at the addition or more likely it will be done at your next re-cert audit.

I would not even venture into designating the space as retail since it really does not quality as a retail establishment.

All of our clients that have these type of operations include them in their scope and these areas are subject to inspection of course, but not under a different FSC/Module.

Now, you could if you wanted to, contact your CB, tell them what you are doing and ask for an exemption for that area - it would still be subject inspection.

YOu will need to review your SQF documentation to include this area and everything such as HACCP plan updating etc to ensure you don't run into an issue come recert time.

And yes, that area will need to comform to all SQF requirements just like the balance of your facility is currently.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 15 May 2019 - 01:18 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kerry785

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

The R&D Kitchen is currently not part of the SQF scope.

Thank you, I felt that much of Module 15 did not apply to what we are doing.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users