Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

We are looking into purchasing a second metal detector and in the SQF code it reads  11.7.6.2 "The equipment shall be designed to isolate defective product and indicate when it is rejected." 

Does anyone have experience using a detector that doesn't "isolate" but rather just alerts a user to detection but doesn't reject the product?  The rule seems pretty cut and dry, but figured it was worth a post to ask of others experiences. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Some detectors come with a blowing elimination device that gets rid of the product once it fails through the metal detector. In my previous experiences we never had one like that. Just the detector buzzing or beeping and stopping the belt from moving whenever metal is detected. SQF Auditors were okay with it. Just make sure the employees on those lines are fully trained on what, how and corrective action when it comes to metal detection

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

The rule is pretty cut and dry - however the term "isolate" can mean a couple of different things, all of which acceptable --- belt stop for that item where the other items continue onward, push off to side cutout or bin or drop down box to surround the item. Saw a really cool one that automatically put up two plastic guards that popped up out of the conveyer to reveal the offender and then there is the conveyor that opens up and the item drops into a waiting bin.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sweet_Lew

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

The metal detection programs I like using are ones where the belts feeding into and out of the metal detector are stopped when metal is detected. This will "isolate" and is a basic electrical signal wired into the belt system and will work with most metal detector models.

CHRISTBEARER7

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:50 PM

I have a followup question:

Is the metal detector required to isolate defective product? Our metal detectors are equipped with an alarm and warning light but the operator is the one who isolates containers when the alarm rings. Is this acceptable?

Thanks!

Chris

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

I have a followup question:

Is the metal detector required to isolate defective product? Our metal detectors are equipped with an alarm and warning light but the operator is the one who isolates containers when the alarm rings. Is this acceptable?

Thanks!

Chris

What is your stand-by if the operator is unable to remove the container? 

Busy, too far away, on break?

-Setanta         

CHRISTBEARER7

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Someone is standing by it all day and at break time there is no product going through the metal detector.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Someone is standing by it all day and at break time there is no product going through the metal detector.

Sounds like a ring metal detector for dry products. We had some of those. I can't see any instances where the operator "couldn't" remove the product, as they had to physically be there to operate the equipment. Everything ran using mixers and augers, and the operator had to stand at the end of the process to make sure each bag met weight. If the metal detector activated at the bag fill, there was both a light and an alarm and they had to stop and set this product aside.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users