• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC V8 Clause 1.1.7 - Resource Provision

Share this

Best Answer , 16 May 2019 - 05:46 AM

Hi Goodgoing,

It's not a silly question at all. Basically the auditor needs to see that you can produce safely without a lack of financial resources or staff being a limiting factor that affects your ability to do this. Observations and evidence collected throughout the audit will show the auditor whether this clause has been complied with. Part of the BRC interpretation for 1.1.7 reads:

The auditor will examine this requirement during the site tour and desktop audit. The auditor will expect the site to demonstrate that it is adequate resourcing its product safety activities, which may include capital expenditure (e.g. for repairs or new equipment), staff levels and staff training.

I've included a paragraph in my Senior Management Commitment policy which relates to 1.1.7. It mentions the HACCP multidisciplinary team, investment in fabrication and equipment, having sufficient staff and sufficiently training staff as commensurate with their roles, procedures and reviews of the food safety management systems.

But it's also important that this is the case in practise. I.e. if your auditor notices a number of non-conformances that relate to a lack of staff for example, or equipment in disrepair and unsuitable for safe food production, then they would question whether sufficient resources are available. Again quoted from the interpretation guides:

"...as the ability of the site to meet the requirements of the Standard will partly demonstrate that the appropriate resources and skills are available."

Hope that makes sense

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Goodgoing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

Hello,

Can someone please help me out with BRC V8 Clause 1.1.7 ''The company's senior management shall provide the human & financial resources required to produce food safely & in compliance with the requirement of this standard''.  

What kind of information we need to provide for this clause? We do have enough staff in each department of our production, packing & warehouse etc. We also have a good cash flow to keep things going smooth.

What else we need to do for this clause ?

I am sorry if this question sounds silly. I will greatly appreciate your advise on this.

Many thanks !

Kind Regards,

Goodgoing 

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:46 AM   Best Answer

Hi Goodgoing,

It's not a silly question at all. Basically the auditor needs to see that you can produce safely without a lack of financial resources or staff being a limiting factor that affects your ability to do this. Observations and evidence collected throughout the audit will show the auditor whether this clause has been complied with. Part of the BRC interpretation for 1.1.7 reads:

The auditor will examine this requirement during the site tour and desktop audit. The auditor will expect the site to demonstrate that it is adequate resourcing its product safety activities, which may include capital expenditure (e.g. for repairs or new equipment), staff levels and staff training.

I've included a paragraph in my Senior Management Commitment policy which relates to 1.1.7. It mentions the HACCP multidisciplinary team, investment in fabrication and equipment, having sufficient staff and sufficiently training staff as commensurate with their roles, procedures and reviews of the food safety management systems.

But it's also important that this is the case in practise. I.e. if your auditor notices a number of non-conformances that relate to a lack of staff for example, or equipment in disrepair and unsuitable for safe food production, then they would question whether sufficient resources are available. Again quoted from the interpretation guides:

"...as the ability of the site to meet the requirements of the Standard will partly demonstrate that the appropriate resources and skills are available."

Hope that makes sense

Thanked by 1 Member:

Drumstick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

Hi Goodgoing,

I agree with Zanorias' answer, but also in your managing review one of the points to review with the high direction should be "need of resources", either because non conformities, new quality goals or whatever reason arised during the review. It's another way to show compliance with that clause (I'm not a BRC expert but I guess It makes sense...).
Regards.

Edited by Drumstick, 16 May 2019 - 06:38 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

In the BRC Standard, you will notice that it is colored both green and brown, which means the auditor looks at both paperwork and the facility for evidence that management is providing sufficient resources to food safety. My BRC auditor says that there is no particular paperwork that needs to be created for Clause 1.1.7, rather this is assessed by the auditor "by feel".

Thanked by 1 Member:

Goodgoing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

Many Thanks Zanorias :)

Hi Goodgoing,

Hope that makes sense

Goodgoing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

In the BRC Standard, you will notice that it is colored both green and brown, which means the auditor looks at both paperwork and the facility for evidence that management is providing sufficient resources to food safety. My BRC auditor says that there is no particular paperwork that needs to be created for Clause 1.1.7, rather this is assessed by the auditor "by feel".

Thank you Hank Major. :)

Goodgoing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

Hi Goodgoing,

I agree with Zanorias' answer, but also in your managing review one of the points to review with the high direction should be "need of resources", either because non conformities, new quality goals or whatever reason arised during the review. It's another way to show compliance with that clause (I'm not a BRC expert but I guess It makes sense...).
Regards.

Thank you Drumsticks :)

Goodgoing

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Guys ! You all have been very helpful & kind :)

Kind Regards,

Goodgoing

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:27 AM

To add to the sound advice above the auditor will also look at the minutes of the management review meeting.

As this clause is difficult to assess, the auditor will consider if non-conformities identified during the audit are due to lack of resources.

Kind regards,

Tony

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

This is true to an extent, but don't forget that auditors have varying ideas about what they're expecting to see - if you haven't yet experienced one, you may one day get an auditor of the mindset that "the clause says x so I want to see a procedure/policy/work instruction that addresses x".

As per Tony-C's post, management review minutes are often considered under this clause. The attendees of the meeting to which the minutes relate may also be considered - having the chairman/MD etc present looks better than just having the technical team and the janitor ;)

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

This is true to an extent, but don't forget that auditors have varying ideas about what they're expecting to see - if you haven't yet experienced one, you may one day get an auditor of the mindset that "the clause says x so I want to see a procedure/policy/work instruction that addresses x".

As per Tony-C's post, management review minutes are often considered under this clause. The attendees of the meeting to which the minutes relate may also be considered - having the chairman/MD etc present looks better than just having the technical team and the janitor ;)

Indeed, this is why we have something in writing to specially address the clause - while most auditors will probably determine compliance based on everything else they see, there may be some who would like to see something specifically written so no harm having it prepared. I find it easier sometimes if things are organised in such a way to "spoon feed" auditors what they want to see if necessary.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users