• Quick Navigation
Photo

Minimum number of inches a pallet needs to be from another pallet?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

Hi all,

We're a spice distribution company and we have a 10,000 sqft warehouse filled with pallets of spice bags and boxes. We recently had 5 containers worth of deliveries over these past couple of months, so our warehouse is a bit stuffed to the brim. 

As per SQF standards, what is the minimum number of inches a pallet needs to be from another pallet? And is that distance from edge to edge of the pallet or edge to edge of the bags? 

Thanks for your help?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

Hi all,

We're a spice distribution company and we have a 10,000 sqft warehouse filled with pallets of spice bags and boxes. We recently had 5 containers worth of deliveries over these past couple of months, so our warehouse is a bit stuffed to the brim. 

As per SQF standards, what is the minimum number of inches a pallet needs to be from another pallet? And is that distance from edge to edge of the pallet or edge to edge of the bags? 

Thanks for your help?

Hi sp,

Yr query with respect to wall/floor clearance has been asked soooo many times. :smile:

But I don't recall anybody querying pallet-to-pallet.

May I ask why you want to know ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

There is no prescribed distance, only sufficient enough to allow for adequate inspection and cleaning.  We have always used 18 inches as a rule of thumb, but this is not a written requirement.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Agrumeambu

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hello !

As MsMars has said, there is no written number requirement for pallet to pallet. They do need to be at least 18 inches from the wall, but as long as you can see in between for inspection / cleaning, it should be sufficient.

When I worked in canned goods, we left enough space in-between pallets so someone could go through if needed (give or take 18 inches). It was a huge warehouse, with 4 pallets high, about 10-12 pallets deep.

I would recommend 18 inches though, that way you can make sure all your containers are in good shape and the area is compliant to all requirements (Clean, doesn't help with vermin (if it's too close they could make nests in between pallets (I've seen it happen... might be different with spices though)). 

Julie

Thanked by 1 Member:

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hi sp,

Yr query with respect to wall/floor clearance has been asked soooo many times. :smile:

But I don't recall anybody querying pallet-to-pallet.

May I ask why you want to know ?

Hi Charles,

I actually assumed as much that this has question has been asked before, but I can't seem to figure out how to search forums by the keywords. I'm not sure the IFSQN platform is terribly intuitive that way. When I used the search bar on here, it just pulls up a bunch of links to other websites, so I'd love to know more about how to navigate and search within forums.

Thanks. 

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

Just to the right of the Search... bar you'll see Google. Click on that, it brings up a list of sections to select the area you want to search in. In that list is Forums, click that and then type in the search words.

Attached photo to illustrate

Attached Files

Edited by zanorias, 22 May 2019 - 04:52 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Ms. Mars and Argumeambu,

Thank you so much! This is helpful! It's just some of these things can be a bit ambiguous at times. 

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

Just to the right of the Search... bar you'll see Google. Click on that, it brings up a list of sections to select the area you want to search in. In that list is Forums, click that and then type in the search words.

Attached photo to illustrate

Zanorias,

Thank you so much! Wow, that's a very subtle little filter there! As someone who considers herself quite technologically proficient, this one definitely eluded me. In any case, thanks for clarifying and this will be quite helpful henceforth.

Best regards!

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

Ms. Mars and Argumeambu,

Thank you so much! This is helpful! It's just some of these things can be a bit ambiguous at times. 

Ambiguity can be both friend and foe.  Good luck!  :spoton:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

Zanorias,

Thank you so much! Wow, that's a very subtle little filter there! As someone who considers herself quite technologically proficient, this one definitely eluded me. In any case, thanks for clarifying and this will be quite helpful henceforth.

Best regards!

You're welcome, can't remember how I stumbled onto it though I'm not particularly technologically proficient - I had to edit my post twice to get the photo link to work, I was half expecting an old photo of my cat to pop up  :lol:

Anyway, hopefully you'll find the forum search as useful as I have - there's a huge amount of information the the discussions over the years, has helped me on many occasions.

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

You're welcome, can't remember how I stumbled onto it though I'm not particularly technologically proficient - I had to edit my post twice to get the photo link to work, I was half expecting an old photo of my cat to pop up  :lol:

Anyway, hopefully you'll find the forum search as useful as I have - there's a huge amount of information the the discussions over the years, has helped me on many occasions.

Haha, cute old pictures of your cat would not be unwelcome right now! 

Yes, I've found these forums rather helpful in the past, but just need to be able to sift through them easier. 

Cheers!

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

My warehouse guys pack the pallets as close as they can with the forklift. I see no reason to have it be 18 inches between rows. I just tell them to be aware of the chance of toppling a stack if they are too close together.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users