• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anyone have any experience using a magnet as a CCP?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ganderson64

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

I think I know the answer to this, but does anyone have any experience using a magnet as a CCP? I can't find any authoritative literature on establishing magnets as a CCP. If it is out there please let me know. Writing food safety program for rapidly expanding business and need immediate input from my expert peeps! Share this out with anyone that might have valued input.

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Hi Garderson

Yes magnets are use as a CCP control points in various industries. farm based food processing plants. As the raw material for these industries come directly from farms so it possible that nuts and bolts which could come off from farm machinery may be present in the raw material.

The high volume retails customers also would like to have assurance that products received by them are free from metal contamination. Here in Australia  all major super markets demand that to have a metal detector at the end of the floor

Kind regards

Dr Humaid Khan

Managing Director 

Halal International Services

Australia

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

It depends on the nature of your product, process...etc. If the magnets reduce or eliminate a significant hazard, then it is a CCP. Review your Hazard Analysis. For example in my facility, there is a very low risk of metal contamination in our product, based on our Hazard analysis, history and flow chart. So Metal detector is not a CCP, but we still have it.

Edited by The Food Scientist, 31 May 2019 - 01:31 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

ganderson64

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

It depends on the nature of your product, process...etc. If the magnets reduce or eliminate a significant hazard, then it is a CCP. Review your Hazard Analysis. For example in my facility, there is a very low risk of metal contamination in our product, based on our Hazard analysis, history and flow chart. So Metal detector is not a CCP, but we still have it.

Agree with your assessment. My concern is that a CCP must be measurable against the established limits. We are working towards metal detectors as this is a consumer product and the limits are easily identified and adhered to with them. I can't go in front of an auditors and tell them "we know" the metal detector reduces the risk. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

Have you had issues with metal contamination in the past? If not, and you have record that this has not been an issue for you, then you can ,as The Food Scientist said, use this to show it is not a CCP

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

we are using lots of magnets especially in the incoming of raw materials,but it is never a CCP per definition because we - as a bakery - have 100 % end-of-line metal detection.

In the case of sieves it is different because sieves will remove not only metal.

Rgds

moskito

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

I think I know the answer to this, but does anyone have any experience using a magnet as a CCP? I can't find any authoritative literature on establishing magnets as a CCP. If it is out there please let me know. Writing food safety program for rapidly expanding business and need immediate input from my expert peeps! Share this out with anyone that might have valued input.

If you want a reference, can give one model process in "Practical haccp" by Mortimore, a classic, highly-regarded, haccp reference book. Now in IIRC 3rd Ed. This included magnet as CCP together with a metal detector also. Justification is given in the text.

As far as "critical limits" are concerned, see parallel thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...on/#entry143491

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users