• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does cannabis oil react with or prevent pathogen growth on equipment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:36 PM

HI all

Does anyone in the US where cannabis is legal have any tips/tricks or basic understanding on how cannabis oil reacts/binds with equipment?   Does it affect pathogen growth in anyway?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

itreatpets

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

Hey Scampi,

I don't work with cannabis but looked into possibly using the CBD oil in a pet treat. I was advised that its usually made with MCT oil and to address it as this type of product, as the cannabinoids don't support growth of pathogens on its own. Some cannabinoids are antibacterial. Aspergillus was the pathogen of most concern with dried cannabis however, by the time its has been turned into a oil based product the risk is extremely low.

I had a lot of luck calling up a producer in my area, they were very willing to share their hazards and controls related to the products they produce. 

This may not answer you question fully but I hope it helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:01 AM

I'm not in the US and can't share any direct experience, but I did stumble across a few bits on potential antibacterial activity recently while doing research ahead of putting together a position statement on CBD - we have a huge amount of customer interest in development of products containing this, but the EU has a slightly confused position on it as various hemp products are legally acceptable as foodstuffs. For example hemp oil is fine, but if one selectively extracts the CBD content it then falls into the scope of the Novel Foods regs, so is not legal at present. Although there are of course already a large number of products on the market...

Anyway, I certainly haven't done a full literature review but did see some references to the role of several cannabinoids in pathogen defence in the plant itself, along with a few bits on more general pathogen interactions.

You've possibly already seen these as you're part of the industry, but a few bits that I found interesting just in case they're useful for you:

https://link.springe...1007/BF00436900

https://pubs.acs.org....1021/np8002673

https://jpharmsci.or...(15)44421-1/pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18681481

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

A warning about MCT oil....................it's almost as viscous as water........1 tbsp on the floor equals a skating rink (we had a leak and found out the hard way!)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

telizabeth

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

I'm late to the party, but I would say cannabis oil (distillate) does not support microbial growth as it generally has a very low water activity level.

kettlecorn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

A warning about MCT oil....................it's almost as viscous as water........1 tbsp on the floor equals a skating rink (we had a leak and found out the hard way!)

Sorry I can't offer more on the relevant question, but I second Scampi about the skating rink with MCT oil. We found out the hard way too...!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users