• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

Good morning everyone, 

We have a customer whom we co-manufacture for that is asking us to create 'blending specifications' for the mixes that we blend and package in house for them. They aren't very sure what they are looking for and neither am I but the goal is to create something, a standard, to follow to compare our finished product to. We already have mix ratios for each batch but I am stumped at what else we can do. Looking for any ideas that you all may have!!

Thanks a ton  :sleazy:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

Are these intended to be a supplementary document that is additional to the "actual" specification for each product?
I've seen and used "processing specifications", that could include e.g. accept/reject photo standards for different WIP stages, specific processing instructions where e.g. addition order is critical, or for particular subassembly activities (e.g. "mix x grams of ingredient with y grams of water and fully dissolve using equipment z before adding to main recipe") etc., but these could equally already be included in the recipe instruction?

It'd be a bit easier if your client could define what it is they're actually wanting from you!

mahantesh.micro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 88 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety Standards, Specification developments, Procedures
    Other interests are- cricket and indoor games

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

Good morning everyone, 

We have a customer whom we co-manufacture for that is asking us to create 'blending specifications' for the mixes that we blend and package in house for them. They aren't very sure what they are looking for and neither am I but the goal is to create something, a standard, to follow to compare our finished product to. We already have mix ratios for each batch but I am stumped at what else we can do. Looking for any ideas that you all may have!!

Thanks a ton  :sleazy:

Dear Allison,

I think they are looking for final specification for the blend you are supplying to them, that means the blend is finished product for you and raw material for them. Please get the blend tested for the nutritional value and physico chemical parameters along with microbiological parameters then you can prepare specification accordingly.

testing and Specification development depends on what type of blend you supply to them,,, for example we are procuring ragi malt from one of our co-packers and we asked them to give specification for the same and they gave spec with following parameters viz  Appearance, taste, odour, solubility, pH, moisture content, protein, fat, ash, Total plate count, yeast and mould count, Ecoli, salmonella, etc

Thanks.

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

Yes, this would be in addition to the current product specification and work order for each batch. I like the idea of accept/reject photo standards which could be attached to each submitted work order. In addition maybe it could be pulling a retain sample for each batch as well. 

And I agree! It's hard when they are looking at me to figure out what they want.

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

Dear Allison,

I think they are looking for final specification for the blend you are supplying to them, that means the blend is finished product for you and raw material for them. Please get the blend tested for the nutritional value and physico chemical parameters along with microbiological parameters then you can prepare specification accordingly.

testing and Specification development depends on what type of blend you supply to them,,, for example we are procuring ragi malt from one of our co-packers and we asked them to give specification for the same and they gave spec with following parameters viz  Appearance, taste, odour, solubility, pH, moisture content, protein, fat, ash, Total plate count, yeast and mould count, Ecoli, salmonella, etc

Thanks.

Good idea, we could do an organoleptic test on each batch to assure it meets the standards they are looking for. 

Thanks!

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

It seems a little odd that your customer is asking you for something, but at the same time they are unsure what it is they want :dunno:

It sounds as if they may want something along the lines of a QAS then again it seems quite a vague request. I'm wondering if your customer has a customer who has asked them for certain information/document and your customer is hoping you will know what it is :huh:  Personally I would go back to the customer and ask them to clarify, or perhaps offer suggestions of what it may be they want i.e. QAS with photos, or additional info included on the spec.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Bo16

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

They might be consider manufacturing specifications, screen/filter size, blend time, acceptable manufacturing loss, rate of blender /blender shaft?  We put those specifications into our manufacturing instructions.  These would be especially important if they are part of the preventive controls or HACCP plan for that product. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Product Specifications, Specification, Blending, Blend, Product, Mixes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users