Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

Does anyone had a chance to read through the FLM? (link below). They started with the webinar today and i have so many questions.

The emphasized ingredient is confusing for me. The examples shown on the summary of proposed changes and Canada gazette are way too simple examples: strawberry yogurt, honey nut cereal and pie made with real peach.

I get that if you are claiming to use a certain ingredient, then the manufacturer should not misled the consumer to think they are using "flavour" instead of the real ingredient. Or that on the example of honey nut cereal, because honey is on the product name, the % of honey should be declared. 

Say I if I have a breakfast wrap with egg, sausage, bacon, and cheese as these are ingredient somehow suits the definition of "characterizing ingredient [means an ingredient, component or class of ingredients, other than a flavouring preparation, that is emphasized by words or a depiction on the label of a prepackaged product]" then the percentage must be shown for characterizing ingredient. or if I have a Pepperoni pizza named product, since pepperoni is in the product name [like honey nut cereal], then i now have to declare the % of pepperoni used in the product? Am i understanding this right or I'm over thinking this emphasized ingredient?

Another is concern is the Date marking for best before date, i don't get the rationale of using "best before" and "best before end", this will be very confusing to consumer -  the gazette said that if its less than 3 months, use "best before" and if more than 3 months, use "best before end"... like what's the difference? we still need to show the year, date and month date anyway.

Please please read and send your comments if you have concerns so that they will clarify these regulations more before it gets enforced. Here's the link for the Canada gazette:

http://gazette.gc.ca...l/reg1-eng.html

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

Hi majoy,

The link is more of an Encyclopedia and includes the usual Canadian sub-sub-sub-indexing. Rigorous but  incomprehensible !.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

Hi majoy,

The link is more of an Encyclopedia and includes the usual Canadian sub-sub-sub-indexing. Rigorous but  incomprehensible !.

They usually have summaries of changes or proposals on the website, but if you want to read the whole text/rationale and complete details for new regulations, this is how its published.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users