• Quick Navigation
Photo

Steps to SQF, what are the training requirements for the practitioner?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

So soon I will be become the SQF practitioner for my company so that we can become SQF. I read section 2 and 11 so far but a friend of mine said that on top of the SQF training, I also have to do a FSMA training and HARPC or I will automatically fail. I didnt read that any where in the sections. Is this true? I already have HACCP and PCQI training. 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Automatically fail? LOL! You have your PCQI AND HACCP. HACCP is a requirement for you to become a qualified SQFP that is for sure,  however PCQI is not, but some auditors prefer it and may comment on that, But automatically fail? Nahhhh! And besides, since you did NOT find it anywhere in the code, it means IT IS NOT REQUIRED. So if any auditor wants to come to you and ask you about it, go like: show me where in the code it says I need that training please? If you are following regulatory and federal guidelines, have your haccp cert, you're fine.

Edited by The Food Scientist, 10 July 2019 - 02:00 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

So is the only thing I need is the SQFP training? Ive been looking every where and I dont see it so my next option was to ask while I did the training (which I havent signed up yet) because we are such a small company so I dont want to fail if there are other trainings

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

They never ask to see if you did SQF training. NEVER. But if you have no experience or knowledge in it, it is highly recommended to take it. BUT HACCP is required to be a qualified SQFP as per code. 

2.1.2.5 The SQF practitioner shall:
i. Be employed by the site as a company employee on a full-time basis;
ii. Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the site's SQF System;
iii. Have completed a HACCP training course;
iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans; and
v. Have an understanding of the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing and the requirements to
implement and maintain an SQF System relevant to the site's scope of certification.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Ok, I saw that as well. Thank you for calming my nerves!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

There is no soecific requirement for SQF Practitioner training. There is a course and exam available, however a complete knowledge of your SQF program is required and the SQF practitioner can be gig'd on the report for lack of knowledge.

SQFI does require the SQF Practitioner and cover pwrson to be HACCP certified and show proof of same and of course you'll need FSMA compliance in accordance with the type of business you work within.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 150 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

I have the opposite question, in a way.  I am our company's PCQI for 21 CFR Part 117 in the United States (HARPC).  Does this meet the requirement for HACCP training for SQFP?

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

I have the opposite question, in a way.  I am our company's PCQI for 21 CFR Part 117 in the United States (HARPC).  Does this meet the requirement for HACCP training for SQFP?

From what I have heard no, HACCP Training is a bit different than PCQI Training, the hazard analysis is set-up a bit differently etc.  You will need to be HACCP Certified separately.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:55 PM

I guess not, because SQF code specifically requires SQFP to have 16 hours' HACCP training & exam or equivalent. 

In Canada:

SQF certification - SQFP with 16hr's HACCP training a must; SQF training an asset;

Company shipping to US - PCQI a must; FSMA gap assessment a must.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users