• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:57 PM

Hello,

I am looking to refresh my company's inefficient and ineffective label artwork review process.  Does anyone have a solid process that they are able to share?  Understanding that the artwork must go through multiple review stages including regulatory compliance, quality, design, etc., I would like to be sure that the standard process is implemented consistently and effectively.  Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

I've used "label review worksheets" for this process.  It identifies what is required in the label, who reviews it, comments, and a sign off at each step.  If there are multiple label revisions then each revision has a separate worksheet.  

I advise you have some sort of traceable documented label numbers with revision numbers for each one.  This way, you can easily identify which revision is the final revision to be used in production.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Carrie.at

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:55 AM

IF you have an IT dept, they could route and email with checks that require sign off. It can be set-up so it only forwards to the next person after the previous person finishes their approval. It should also alert you who the approval currently lies with, so you  know if anyone is holding up the process, or if they are away ectc 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scottaha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

Thank you both!  We do have an electronic system that is pretty good for the review and review tracking.  The issue is more aligning roles and responsibilities.  Regulatory and Quality are reviewing for several functions, but sometimes we will have other people commenting on hairlines, formatting, etc. that would typically fall under the purview of the regulatory review.  Basically, there are too many cooks in the kitchen without defined responsibilities.  I would like to streamline the development and review process overall.  My initial thought is having PD create the ingredient listing/nutrition facts/supplement facts panels and route those separately, prior to the label artwork, minimizing the reviewers for the final artwork.  Any other thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

Where I am at now, what I do is I get the artwork and I look at the areas I need to look at and then pass it on. We dont have a checklist because its only 2 people reviewing the label however in the past, QA looked at the nutrition facts with the ingredients, the VP would look at the over all label, the owner would see if she liked the format. Each person reviewed their own area and that was it. Maybe create a checklist and sign off sheet and maybe have a suggestion area so that others can possible say yes or no for it. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Carrie.at

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

Hi Scott

PD should first gain approval from Production Operations (needs to run efficiently), then PD finalise the Ingredients and NIPs etc, only then develop & review art work. We also check all new packaging on delivery to make sure it matches the final draft. We have found discrepancies in the past grr. 

Good luck

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:49 AM

Hi Scott, 

Kudos to you for planning ahead. Interdepartmental projects can get hectic. 

General guidelines:

1. Create a committee with a representative from each department.

Individual serves as a department head and "owns" the step until signing off to pass to the next phase. 

2. Quality should have a secondary sign off at every step

3. Process starts and ends with regulatory compliance 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

Welp, it's not letting me edit.

Two more notes to add:

1) Ensure you're updated on the latest regulatory labeling information since printing plates are pricey. 

2) Proof a physical copy before going to print. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users