• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF 12.6.1 - Storage and handling of goods

Share this

Best Answer , 22 July 2019 - 06:02 PM

Hello Gigi,

12.6.1.1 Storage and Handling of Goods The site shall implement an effective storage plan that allows for the safe, hygienic storage of ice, food products (frozen, chilled, and ambient), packaging materials, equipment, and chemicals

This means that you should have a process in place for how you store just about everything in your facility.

For example, when a truck drops off items, how are they handled, by who and where are they stored, is it clean? At my facility, we receive raw vegetables. In brief, all our raw vegetables are handled by the Warehouse Manager and stored in our walk-in cooler. The cooler is checked daily to ensure temperature is adequate.

12.6.1.2 Storage and Handling of Goods The responsibility and methods for ensuring effective stock rotation principles are applied shall be documented and implemented.

12.6.1.3 Storage and Handling of Goods Procedures are in place to ensure that all food products, and recouped product, are utilized within their designated shelf-life.

This means that you want a system in place to ensure your stock is being used within the allotted time frame (shelf life). For example, we use FIFO (first in first out) to ensure that the older items are used first before we use our "fresher" produce.

Each morning we do an inventory check.

I hope this helps? And good luck on your audit.

Jenna

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

gomez89

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:38 PM

Good afternoon everybody, 

I need help understand storage and hanlding of goods please. I've read the requirements but still its hard to understand. Can someone share their SOP created for this, or if not a possible way someone can explain to me please. We are under storage and distribution and we are to have a desk audit within three weeks.  module 12

12.6.1 Storage and Handling of Goods
12.6.1.1 Storage and Handling of Goods The site shall implement an effective storage plan that allows for the safe, hygienic storage of ice, food products (frozen, chilled, and ambient), packaging materials, equipment, and chemicals.
12.6.1.2 Storage and Handling of Goods The responsibility and methods for ensuring effective stock rotation principles are applied shall be documented and implemented.
12.6.1.3 Storage and Handling of Goods Procedures are in place to ensure that all food products, and recouped product, are utilized within their designated shelf-life.

Greatly appreciated

gigi

jperri

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:02 PM   Best Answer

Hello Gigi,

12.6.1.1 Storage and Handling of Goods The site shall implement an effective storage plan that allows for the safe, hygienic storage of ice, food products (frozen, chilled, and ambient), packaging materials, equipment, and chemicals

This means that you should have a process in place for how you store just about everything in your facility.

For example, when a truck drops off items, how are they handled, by who and where are they stored, is it clean? At my facility, we receive raw vegetables. In brief, all our raw vegetables are handled by the Warehouse Manager and stored in our walk-in cooler. The cooler is checked daily to ensure temperature is adequate.

This means that you want a system in place to ensure your stock is being used within the allotted time frame (shelf life). For example, we use FIFO (first in first out) to ensure that the older items are used first before we use our "fresher" produce.

Each morning we do an inventory check.

I hope this helps? And good luck on your audit.

Jenna

Edited by jperri, 22 July 2019 - 06:03 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,670 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

First things first - you are under a crushing deadline of only 3 weeks for a desk audit.

Move your audit dates.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

gomez89

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

Thank you very much @ Jenna 

Yes we just requested to move our audit dates due to we are behind. Thank you @ Glenn

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users