• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

Hello, 

I am in the process of developing and implementing  SQF Storage & Distribution, we are a third party cold storage company. We never have exposed meat product (vegetables at times cross dock), we may at times repack primary packaged products into new secondary packaging for customers and/or relabel primary packaging. 

The master sanitation schedule reflects cleaning tasks to what we do, my question is how do I ensure the effectiveness of the cleaning?  Would ATP swabs be the best approach? For allergen spills would Protein ATP swabs be the route? 

Due to the infrequency of spills and relabeling or re-boxing, the ATP swabs tend to expire before we go through them. (which is costly) 

Is a visual inspection adequate in these cases? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:41 PM

You can use a just-in-time delivery for ATP swabs from a national or local lab, visual inspections may be ok short term, but will not fly well at audit time.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Fred73

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:SQFI certified consultant, PCQI, FSVP-QI, IAVA-QI, FS-CP & CCFS. I enjoy analyzing problems in the FS field, solving it and learning in the process.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

Visual inspection verification is enough for S&D, you do not need to do any test, additionally you can conduct a risk assessment and list all possibles contamination's and how you will address it all trough your sanitation plan and proper handling of product (describe how you will handle the product to prevent cross contamination, your GDP's, etc). SQF S&D shows a big difference from "Manufacturing" in this specific point. This has worked very well for us in several audits.

Thanked by 1 Member:

agasr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:19 PM

I would concur with Fred73. For S&D with no exposed products and repack of finished goods only - visual observations/confirmations should be sufficient.

In fact If I am  correct, the Environmental Monitoring is N/A for S&D in SQF 8.0. Hope this helps further to what Fred73 shared. Regards, 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users