• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

Good day Everyone,

I know this question is being ask already but I have been out of the site for a while. 

Could anybody share the latest experiences with FDA Inspections/Investigations?  Just curious to see what are the main objectives.

I work in a Spice and Extract Operation and we had FDA/ State of Texas Observation visit but we were alerted of the "SWABATON" coming.

Any experiences you can share will greatly appreciated.

Glad to be back

K

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

I had them in Tuesday and Wednesday actually.  No swabbing - they just wanted to observe processing/sanitation, look over FSPs, allergen management, training, and supplier approval documentation.

Thanked by 1 Member:

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

They have never swabbed our facility before.

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

I was at a company still new and right before I got there they informed me they did get a FDA visit for swabbing. They told me they took around 20 samples from different areas in the facility (different zones) and swabbed for Salmonella & Listeria. They simply want to test your EMP. 

This may help you:

http://foodsafety.me...lity-swabathon/

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

We have a site that the FDA is currently at. They are wrapping up day 2 and are planning on returning tomorrow. No swabbing, but did reference their website for us to get an idea of what to expect. It can be found here: https://www.fda.gov/...mental-sampling .

We are seeing them dig through about 1.5 years of records - reviewing every entry, etc. They informed us that 'this is nothing' and we can expect a full week next time. Much different then their visit 2 years ago, which was only 1.5 days and was more risk based on how they approached documents and records. 

Much tougher this time around.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users