The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:45 PM

Hi, 

I may mentioned something related to this topic many times but I need an official FDA document that contains max amounts of allowed lead (and other heavy metals) in foods, specifically spices. We got a shipment of ground ginger containing >1ppm of lead. Supplier is saying its okay but I am not sure. Because I know cinnamon is not allowed to have more than 1ppm. Can someone verify? Thanks!

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

Did some quick digging to try and help you out. I stumbled upon this article from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/...wr/mm6746a2.htm

"According to the World Health Organization Codex Standard 193–1995, the permissible limit of lead for infant formula is 0.02 mg/kg lead and for salt is 2 mg/kg. No U.S. permissible limit for lead in spices exists; however, the FDA limit for lead in natural-source food color additives (e.g., paprika, saffron, and turmeric) is 10 mg/kg. The FDA action levels (i.e., the levels at which an investigation is undertaken, or a recall is issued, depending upon the circumstances and findings) for products intended for consumption by children are 0.1 mg/kg for candy and 0.5 mg/kg for other foods; however, spices are not considered food intended for consumption by children"

That citing is from the discussion segment of the article provided above. There is more information after that, but I wasn't sure if it pertained to your case and I didn't want to paste the entire paragraph. 

Hope this helps! 

Thanked by 2 Members:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

that's so vague its driving me nuts. So based on what do they decide? We recently had a recall for cinnamon because it didnt meet allowable levels >1ppm. So i am trying to be cautious on what to allow and what no to...

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

that's so vague its driving me nuts. So based on what do they decide? We recently had a recall for cinnamon because it didnt meet allowable levels >1ppm. So i am trying to be cautious on what to allow and what no to...

I agree, something as critical as this should not be so vague. I also found this for you: 

https://www.fda.gov/...ary-supplements

FDA stating Interim Reference levels of limits daily consumption from children and adults should be consumed. Though it doesn't give you a definitive answer, it provides you some insight on the limits of consumption. 

My interpretation, according to the FDA, there are set levels by them that should result to a recall and then you read about, "The FDA, therefore, seeks to limit consumer exposure to lead in foods to the greatest extent feasible". So they want you to take the initiative if something wrong is seen, but leave the discretion to you as to setting limits. Typical government response to something they can't control. 

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

The FDA's real concern is red lead or lead chromate added as an adulterant to improve color.  Lead that is taken up by plants from the environment is not a concern.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:32 AM

Hi FS,

from google, as per Post 2 -

No U.S. permissible limit for lead in spices exists; however, the FDA limit for lead in natural-source food color additives (e.g., paprika, saffron, and turmeric) is 10 mg/kg.Nov 23, 2018

this might also interest you -

Dr. Hore and colleagues share their experience with investigating spices as a potential source of lead exposure. Between 2008 and 2017, the NYC Health Department tested over 3,000 samples of consumer products during investigations of lead poisoning cases and surveys of local stores. Spices were the most frequently tested product: nearly 1,500 samples from 41 countries were tested.

More than half of the spice samples had detectable lead concentrations, and more than 30 percent had lead concentrations greater than 2 parts per million (ppm) -- a permissible limit for lead in certain food additives used as a guidance value by NYC Health Department.

Spices purchased abroad had much higher average lead content than spices bought in the US. For example, turmeric and Georgian kharcho suneli purchased in NYC had average lead concentrations below 2 ppm, but when the same spices were purchased abroad, the average concentrations exceeded 50 ppm. "The highest concentrations of lead were found in spices purchased in the countries Georgia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, and Morocco," Dr. Hore and co-authors write.

https://www.scienced...81205093750.htm

This topic was previously, vaguely, "discussed" by you here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...s-adulteration/

PS -

that's so vague its driving me nuts. So based on what do they decide? We recently had a recall for cinnamon because it didnt meet allowable levels >1ppm. So i am trying to be cautious on what to allow and what no to..

So what was the justification for that recall ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

eatmoreomega3s

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

Heavy metals are a grey area for the FDA and the industry because there are heavy metals in the soil where these plants are grown!!!

What you should do is first determine what is an acceptable limit for your company. From what I've seen 3-4ppm is an acceptable lead limit.

Also, get specifications from your customers and talk to them about what they will accept. When you have your internal specs and customers specs you can then communicate that to your suppliers. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

Heavy metals are a grey area for the FDA and the industry because there are heavy metals in the soil where these plants are grown!!!

What you should do is first determine what is an acceptable limit for your company. From what I've seen 3-4ppm is an acceptable lead limit.

Also, get specifications from your customers and talk to them about what they will accept. When you have your internal specs and customers specs you can then communicate that to your suppliers. 

I agree but apparently we had a test conducted by FDA that read 1.49ppm and we had to initiate a recall because they considered it a violation and cannot be sold in the USA. Talk about frustrations! 

danh@nutmegspice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:20 PM

We had to recall all of our ginger in the state of New York for lead levels of 1.01ppm. We presented our case to the FDA and they did not require a nationwide recall as they did not see it as a risk how the NYSDAM made us recall everything in New York. Receiving a ton of calls regarding the recent Stanford study on heavy metals in spices lately too.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:29 PM

We had to recall all of our ginger in the state of New York for lead levels of 1.01ppm. We presented our case to the FDA and they did not require a nationwide recall as they did not see it as a risk how the NYSDAM made us recall everything in New York. Receiving a ton of calls regarding the recent Stanford study on heavy metals in spices lately too.

Same thing here. The state of NY. But our facility is in Florida. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users