• Quick Navigation
Photo

Acceptable PPE for food contact packaging (high hygiene)?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

sarahm96

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

Hi,

I was looking for some information on acceptable PPE for food contact packaging (high hygiene). At the moment our other site, which is already accredited, just wears a t shirt and trousers which are company issued and self laundered. So far this has never been raised in an audit, however I can't understand how it hasn't. There's no way staff would change out of their t-shirt when using the toilet or going for lunch, and although they are supposed to change out of work clothes before leaving the site, it doesn't happen. To me it would be more convenient, and more hygienic, to have an overcoat which can be removed when going out with the hygiene area.

Am I overthinking this and being too pernickety? 

Thanks

ClaudiaBuonofiglio

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

I agree with you. For me is the best solution

Thanked by 1 Member:

ABBIGAIL BEDASSIE NABBIE

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

not picky at all....I agree with your comments

This is a contributor of cross contamination

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:42 PM

Hi,

I was looking for some information on acceptable PPE for food contact packaging (high hygiene). At the moment our other site, which is already accredited, just wears a t shirt and trousers which are company issued and self laundered. So far this has never been raised in an audit, however I can't understand how it hasn't. There's no way staff would change out of their t-shirt when using the toilet or going for lunch, and although they are supposed to change out of work clothes before leaving the site, it doesn't happen. To me it would be more convenient, and more hygienic, to have an overcoat which can be removed when going out with the hygiene area.

Am I overthinking this and being too pernickety? 

Thanks

Assuming this is BRC, the requirements seem to be well-detailed in section 6.5 including aspects such as you mention above.

So logically "No".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

wjmccann3

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

Sarahm96

Have you completed a risk assessment on your PPE in question ? Do you have any complaints from your customers that point to uniforms or uniform cleaning as being the root cause. Sometimes we do over think and side with caution and create a process that does not really need to be created. I am a SQF Practitioner at a packaging facility, and have graded out at 97 for my recent SQF certification, I simply addressed the uniform concern with a risk assessment showing that I have a system in place and that the system has proved positive since I do not have a complaint or a issue. That seems to work. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

Sarahm96

Have you completed a risk assessment on your PPE in question ? Do you have any complaints from your customers that point to uniforms or uniform cleaning as being the root cause. Sometimes we do over think and side with caution and create a process that does not really need to be created. I am a SQF Practitioner at a packaging facility, and have graded out at 97 for my recent SQF certification, I simply addressed the uniform concern with a risk assessment showing that I have a system in place and that the system has proved positive since I do not have a complaint or a issue. That seems to work. 

Hi wjmcc,

I suspect BRC have much more detailed requirements than SQF (rightly or wrongly). Welcome to be proven wrong though. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

So are you a manufacturer of food packaging or a food packaging plant? If you manufacture food packaging the risk of contamination from clothing in good condition is very low given that nearly all operations occur above waist level. "Company issued clothing in good, clean condition" (how we state it in policy) should also have a very low impact given that the machines are mostly enclosed or prevent contact during the process. We require hair and beard nets in the high hygiene areas only. Other GMPs cover the risks beyond that. Just make sure your risk assessment is documented, reasonable and supported.

Edited by Hoosiersmoker, 03 September 2019 - 02:31 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

sarahm96

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

So are you a manufacturer of food packaging or a food packaging plant? If you manufacture food packaging the risk of contamination from clothing in good condition is very low given that nearly all operations occur above waist level. "Company issued clothing in good, clean condition" (how we state it in policy) should also have a very low impact given that the machines are mostly enclosed or prevent contact during the process. We require hair and beard nets in the high hygiene areas only. Other GMPs cover the risks beyond that. Just make sure your risk assessment is documented, reasonable and supported.

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

We manufacture packaging materials, but don't package any food on site. Our processes are quite open for certain processes.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:08 PM

As you're in the UK, would I be correct in assuming that you're BRC/IOP certified?

I'd have a look at section 6.5 of the standard, and particularly 6.5.9 - it's acceptable for staff to do their own laundry for work clothing, but there are expectations around control.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users