SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Washington Capitals Hockey (2018 Stanley Cup Champions), music, spending time with family

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

Good morning (or afternoon or evening) everyone.

I am looking for scientific research regarding freezer temperatures for raw meat. I use the Tompkin paper for my scientific basis for cooler temperature (like pretty much everyone else  :rofl2: ) but I cannot find anything regarding freezer temperatures. Our HACCP plan currently states 0oF but I don't have anything to back that up. I just know its a good, safe temperature. I already did a little digging on previous forum posts but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Ricky

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Hi Ricky -

I think I have something for you on my msin office computer - just need to get to it later today.

I assume this is for holding pallets of boxed finished product?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Washington Capitals Hockey (2018 Stanley Cup Champions), music, spending time with family

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

Hi Ricky -

I think I have something for you on my msin office computer - just need to get to it later today.

I assume this is for holding pallets of boxed finished product?

Correct. It is for palletized finished product (raw sausage- pork, chicken, and turkey) that is waiting to be shipped.

I look forward to hearing back with what you might have for this!

Thanks, Glenn!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Good morning (or afternoon or evening) everyone.

I am looking for scientific research regarding freezer temperatures for raw meat. I use the Tompkin paper for my scientific basis for cooler temperature (like pretty much everyone else  :rofl2: ) but I cannot find anything regarding freezer temperatures. Our HACCP plan currently states 0oF but I don't have anything to back that up. I just know its a good, safe temperature. I already did a little digging on previous forum posts but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Ricky

Hi Ricky,

I'm unsure what you are actually wishing to have explained ?

Are you wishing to see evidence that at at a core temperature of 0degF, there is no growth of bacteria relevant to the safety of yr mentioned products ?

If so, this has been discussed here previously and I will seek out the thread. I think you can also probably see it discussed in basic FS textbooks. In fact temperatures below 0degC are already sufficient to halt the growth of the majority of pathogenic bacterial species, (L.mono being a well-known exception). Hence the use of Ice.

On the other hand, if you are referring to evidence as to the required cooling times to reach 0degF, this is more complicated. Also previously discussed here in detail.

PS - you might be interested to know that where processors have the freezing stage as a CCP, a typical critical limit is <= -12degC (0degF = -18degC) (although commercial freezers are nonetheless evaluated on their capability ro achieve -18degC).

PPS - there is also a semantic/technical difference between a "freezer" to reduce product temperatures down to -18degC and a "freezer" to store product at -18degC

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

Are you wishing to see evidence that at at a core temperature of 0degF, there is no growth of bacteria relevant to the safety of yr mentioned products ?

This is what I am looking for. I wasn't 100% sure on what I should search for, and everything I did search for didn't give the results I was looking for.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

This is what I am looking for. I wasn't 100% sure on what I should search for, and everything I did search for didn't give the results I was looking for.

Hi SG,

Here you go -

Frozen products do not require any added preservatives because microorganisms do not grow when the temperature of the food is below −9.5 °C (15 °F), which is sufficient on its own in preventing food spoilage.

(see pg 2 of attachment below)

Attached File  Frozen_food-2016.pdf   206.46KB   46 downloads

The quote is originally to a text book - Arsdel, Wallace, B. Van, Michael, J Copley, and Robert, L. Olson. Quality and Stability of Frozen Foods: TIme-Temperature Tolerance and its Significance. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons,INC, 1968

(unfortunately the book itself now seems unavailable for browsing on Google)

I also quoted this same data (et al)  in an older thread which you might find interesting -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ow-zero-degree/

(see post 3)

Additionally, you will see (1st attachment in above link, Post 3, Pg 9) that most common pathogens are considered to stop growing at much higher temperatures than -9.5 degC.

One caveat is that someone may have found a more resistant bug since 1968. :smile:

PS - from the above, one might ask why not run cold stores at, say., -12 degC ? One reason is that this reduces the shelf life. However I found this quite interesting article on some products which might prefer a "raise" from -18degC -

http://thehtrc.com/2...or-temperatures

(warning - there are a few typos in the text)

PPS - Very nice Photo :thumbup:

Edited by Charles.C, 28 August 2019 - 06:34 PM.
expanded

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users