• Quick Navigation
Photo

MAST Iceland -- sufficient? Equivalent to BRC accreditation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

vouxe

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

I have recently switched jobs, moved from meat to fish industry and have a question with regards to accreditation.

I am currently reviewing the supplier approval procedure and list. We are committed to only source our raw materials from BRC accredited sites, or equivalent.

One of our potential suppliers stated that they are not BRC accredited, however they are audited by MAST which is supposedly recognised in Iceland. I have never heard of it before and was wondering whether it can be considered as equivalent to BRC accreditation.

Have any of you come across it and are you able to tell me more about it please?

"MAST is an inspection and administrative body and the Competent Authority (CA) in Iceland in the field of food safety, animal health and welfare, control of feed, seed and fertilisers, plant health and water for human consumption"

Regards,

M.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

If your definition of BRC certified is the standard approach that alternative schemes must have recognised equivalence via GFSI, then no, it's not equivalent.

As the competent authority for Iceland, MAST is broadly equivalent to the Food Standards Agency in the UK in terms of food, although MAST's remit is somewhat wider so would also encompass some of what APHA, the HSE etc cover here.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

I am currently reviewing the supplier approval procedure and list. We are committed to only source our raw materials from BRC accredited sites, or equivalent.

Being audited under MAST is not the same as BRC/GFSI equivalent. MAST is not the equal.

Basically a standard food safety audit is the requirement for MAST.

But its a start.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic