• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

Hi All,

I sent  two of  new finished product for a shelf life testing. Both came back with high reading for Acid Producing Bacteria (APB) and Aerobic Plate Count (APC).

Here are the details of the products - both are sandwiches , and we are targeting a shelf life of 7 days - no preservatives, just refrigerating temp. These two sandwiches both read high on the 0 day and increase till the Day 7.

What do you think please?

Do we even have to go for  these indicator organism for a shelf life test ?  What do you this guys? Please help . . . .

Products

1.  European Deli Sandwich

• Cheese
  • Ham
  • Salami
  • Mustard
  • Bread

2.  Bologna Sandwich

• Cheese
  • Bologna (pork cut meat)
  • Bread

Process

We get the pre-cook meat, cook it and then cut into slices . All other ingredients  just came from the supplier - we opened them and we assembled. All the sandwiches are packed in a plastic cover plate (not air seal or  air tight)

greencheese

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

Self life could be a quality only determination. That after 7 days the taste or texture would no longer be desirable. But in your case as we know that the product has some for m of bacterial growth I would have to at least see that the bacterial growth on the APC is none pathogenic. If you can prove that the bacterial growth will cause no harm and have the lab work to back up that claim then you should be safe.

Charles193

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:49 PM

Hi Green cheese,

Thank so much for your swift responds.

Just in line with your thought -  I did send out the products again for  a repeat test,  now including L. mono ( due to the cheese) and E.coli 0157 (due to the meat) - And they both came back negatives, while the APC and APB remined high for both the 0 day and 7 days.

Just wondering while I am still having high reading for APC and APB?  - Please could you share more perceptive on this.

Thanks so much again for your help - I am grateful!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:02 AM

Hi All,

I sent  two of  new finished product for a shelf life testing. Both came back with high reading for Acid Producing Bacteria (APB) and Aerobic Plate Count (APC).

Here are the details of the products - both are sandwiches , and we are targeting a shelf life of 7 days - no preservatives, just refrigerating temp. These two sandwiches both read high on the 0 day and increase till the Day 7.

What do you think please?

Do we even have to go for  these indicator organism for a shelf life test ?  What do you this guys? Please help . . . .

Products

1.  European Deli Sandwich

• Cheese
  • Ham
  • Salami
  • Mustard
  • Bread

2.  Bologna Sandwich

• Cheese
  • Bologna (pork cut meat)
  • Bread

Process

We get the pre-cook meat, cook it and then cut into slices . All other ingredients  just came from the supplier - we opened them and we assembled. All the sandwiches are packed in a plastic cover plate (not air seal or  air tight)

Hi Charles 193,

What did you mean by "high" ?

Any particular reason for testing for APB ? (First time I have ever heard of it !)

Does the product have a microbial specification ?

Was the cheese pasteurised ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users