• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should we shave beard or not working in a kitchen?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

PRABAKARAN PILLAI

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:57 AM

I am from catering which serves Australian public servant in Malaysia and we are following FSANZ.

May I know if any of clause in FSANZ stated to shave beard or wear beard snood. Shall it be a practice in Australia should shave beard when beard mask not provided.

Need advice from Australian Food Safety expert.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:07 AM

15           Hygiene of food handlers

(1)           A food handler must, when engaging in any food handling operation –

(a)          take all practicable measures to ensure his or her body, anything from his or her body, and anything he or she is wearing does not contaminate food or surfaces likely to come into contact with food;

Note, the above standard 3.2.2 extract is applicable solely to food businesses in Australia.

https://www.legislat...ils/F2014C01204

http://www.foodstand...Chapter-3).aspx

Do you have any accreditation schemes you adhere to? 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,848 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

I suspect it would be a very difficult rule to adhere to that beards must be shaven as some men wear beards for religious reasons, however, I did know of one site in the UK that enforced this for permanent staff.  I'm surprised they got away with it.  Most sites say you must wear a beard snood if you have a beard, moustache or stubble which is long enough to pinch.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

I suspect it would be a very difficult rule to adhere to that beards must be shaven as some men wear beards for religious reasons, however, I did know of one site in the UK that enforced this for permanent staff.  I'm surprised they got away with it.  Most sites say you must wear a beard snood if you have a beard, moustache or stubble which is long enough to pinch.

I worked at a bakery where they MUST shave their beard. (The owner wanted that). If anyone had a beard or any facial hair on their face they would be forced to shave or sent home. The owner did not care about religion or anything, rules were rules. Harsh but I guess the owner had the right to enforce it. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,848 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

I worked at a bakery where they MUST shave their beard. (The owner wanted that). If anyone had a beard or any facial hair on their face they would be forced to shave or sent home. The owner did not care about religion or anything, rules were rules. Harsh but I guess the owner had the right to enforce it. 

Eek!  Well thankfully we do have the European Court of Human Rights (for now) who would call out on that kind of discrimination...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users