• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:02 AM

Morning all,

I’m currently after your advice. We currently make a baked Coconut crisp bite that is made of meringue, condensed milk, coconut and chocolate. Think of a small bounty bar, and that’s pretty much it, just nicer!

However, cutting with an ultrasonic at ambient is proving difficult at the product is too soft and it falls apart. The company we make this for want us to use a blast chiller/ freezer to take the temperature down to -5°C and -10°C. This purely for operational reasons and not food safety.

However, for my FSQMS, for due diligence, what is best practice, and what should I be doing? Even though I know the product is stable at ambient, should I be considering any environmental impacts from the freezer?

Welcome your thoughts

tde19

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:07 PM

Hello, 

I would consider monitoring and recording freezer temperature for your customer to show that you are following the guidelines they requested. 

Environmentally blast chillers/freezers are notorious for Listeria. I would recommend you add under the freezer, in the freezer, the entrance and exit to your environmental program.

Thanked by 1 Member:

StevieP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

Hi tdowling, thanks for the information, I will certainly look into this.

As this process is for operational reasons, and the product is stable. Should I be testing finished product, or not?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

I doubt that L.monocytogenes will be very active at -10degC.

I suspect a somewhat harder "crisp" may be achieved.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:52 PM

L.mono won't be active at that temperature, but can be present.  Since the bar will not be consumed frozen there is a chance for outgrowth as the bar warms up.  

Blue Bell Creamery here in the states had that problem with their ice cream...everyone thinks "frozen products, no problem!" but many fail to take into account how those frozen products are handled by the consumer.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:22 AM

L.mono won't be active at that temperature, but can be present.  Since the bar will not be consumed frozen there is a chance for outgrowth as the bar warms up.  

Blue Bell Creamery here in the states had that problem with their ice cream...everyone thinks "frozen products, no problem!" but many fail to take into account how those frozen products are handled by the consumer.

Hi Ryan,

Sorry, I probably should have been more precise.

i was responding to the comment regarding, I assumed, possible (l.mono) cross-contamination due to being within the freezer. I'm unfamiliar with bakery product flows but IMEX of seafood products, the latter are invariably fully covered within (static) air blast freezers to prevent freezer burn. In my hazard analyses the risk of pathogenic x-contamination in this step has always been "negligible". Such freezers when in use are typically maintained at <-20degC other than when being cleaned/sanitized/monitored.

In contrast,  conveyor freezers often run with exposed product surfaces so I suppose x-contamination from "low-flying" bacteria is theoretically feasible (??) or from the belt itself. However IMEX such belts are able to be continuously sanitized plus the internal freezer environment is usually routinely  sanitized at a minimum on a daily basis.

PS - afai could see the root cause of BlueBell incident was, other than suspected Sanitation factors, never pinpointed ?

https://www.foodsafe...teria-outbreak/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users