• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food Safety Concerns Storing CBD (Cannabidiol) in (Food and Beverages)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

CLN

Grade - AIFSQN

• 39 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

​Our warehouse has been approached by a group of potential customer(s) that produces Food and Beverages with CBD. And I would like to know if there's any food safety concerns as a 3PL provider should be concern with?   Or, having customer with CBD products in storage will effect are certification somehow?

This all new to me and would like know as much as I can about this subject - thanks

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

I'm sorry, in my last reply I missed the "warehouse" part - as in you are Storage and Distribution.

Assuming you are receiving, storing and shipping CBD products that are sealed and never unsealed while in your care the answer is NO - it is just another product to store and distribute.

If for some reason you have listed the various products that you store on our Scope and Certificate you do need to contact your CB to add the generic names (such as supplements, beverages, etc.) but I imagine that is how it is already.

Do take a close look at any special requirements from the supplier and your customer for storage of CBD items.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:24 PM

So what is CBD ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found primarily in the flowers and leaves of the hemp plant. It's one of many powerful cannabinoids found in hemp, and is known for supporting body and mind in various ways.

Personally I take (and we market in a different business) GoGreenHemp capsules and it has effectively eliminated my severe migraine headaches.

Details - www.gogreenhemp.com  (this is not our business site) 

It works differently for everyone, for me it releives stress, joint pain, headaches, etc.

Non-THC (under 0.03) is distributed freely, started in the US and spreading fast.

Which is why Big Pharma in conjunction with the FDA is taking a close look at regulating it - yup.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 01 October 2019 - 10:38 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:50 PM

Hi Glenn,

Thks for the info.

Are these items regarded as a Food or a Drug ? or Neither ?

PS - I just saw you answered my query elsewhere. By definition. Thks.

https://www.ifsqn.co...ty/#entry149211

Edited by Charles.C, 01 October 2019 - 11:07 PM.
added PS

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:08 PM

Hi Glenn,

Thks for the info.

Are these items regarded as a Food or a Drug ? or Neither ?

Lots of grey areas and miss-understanding when it comes to CBD.

Some of it in the past couple of years is being classified as a Class 1 Drug... in the dangerous category - but with no medical value (as "they" say.) This is primarily for THC content over the limit - as in the classification is pretty much based on can you get high from it.

The ones I take are not class 1, but are considered supplements/food and this is what most folks are taking, rubbing on with infused salves, using the powder as a food ingredient (like in gummies, drinks, etc.)  

Now, some of it is considered a Class 5 - basically a non-drug - somewhat good article here:

https://cbdoilreview...hedule-1-drugs/

Heck, when I want to get high, I just kiss my wife. :)

Edited by SQFconsultant, 01 October 2019 - 11:10 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CLN

Grade - AIFSQN

• 39 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your input on this subject of CBD. I knew there wouldn't be issue with storing and because the CBD is relatively new, the higher ups wanted a second opinion. 

Hum!  Getting high kissing your wife, Charles you must be in your honeymoon stage of marriage still, or your applying something else.  Either way, it made me laugh.

​Until next time, take care all!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

Nope, that kissing thing was written by me and our honeymoon is now 16 years.

I just wish I wasn't away from homebase so much, currently finishing up at a seafood plant in Virginia US - then home next week and back out again in early November for 1-2 months.

tis the life of an SQF Consultant.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

cbdoilreviewz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:14 AM

As referenced toward the start of this article, there are a couple of angles which help us recognize CBD oil got from hemp versus CBD oil got from cannabis. Here's the breakdown the most significant contrasts:Most of CBD oils available are full-range extricates. This implies they contain CBD as well as a scope of different what is cbd and terpenes found in cannabis plants. Presently, the fundamental contrast between CBD oil from hemp and weed is the proportion among THC and CBD.

AmeliaHarris

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

What kind of CBD oil do you use?

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

Note that while general hemp extracts that contain CBD are fair game, isolated CBD technically cannot be added to foods per FDA because it is considered a drug that is currently being prescribed for certain medical conditions. The FD&C specificially prohibits you from putting drugs into food.

Per the current page on their position

It is currently illegal to market CBD by adding it to a food or labeling it as a dietary supplement.

However, FDA has no interest in enforcing this policy (and neither do state-level health departments) unless you market your items as drugs, which they constantly go after in the supplement category no matter what you sell. This is written in all the guidance that has been posted, and I confirmed it with the Seattle district office, who simply told me that unless something changes at the national level, they had plenty of other things to do and didn't care until an outbreak/illness occurred. CBD so far has a pretty good safety record, though FDA had some concerns based on some of the high dosage data in patients with liver issues, nothing health-wise has prompted any action on that front.

Heck, in California the CBD processors just said "if you don't enforce it, it's not law." Turns out they were right and the state moved forward with legislation to avoid enforcement.

Ergo, as long as you sell it, but don't make consumer claims that it will cure their whatever, no one is going to bother you, especially in states where legal cannabis in general has made it harder to draw clear enforcement lines or states that have pursued legislation to give it the green light.

However, in the event that a customer says they were harmed by your product, you're in the unfortunate position of having to claim your product did not cause them harm....even if it was illegal to sell technically.

In short: your enforcement liability for CBD products is pretty much non-existant, but your customer liability is going to leave you more exposed. Always read the current positions yourself, CBD enthusiasts normally just scream about the farm bill etc., which really didn't have a large impact on the food side of things, just the availability of hemp and hemp extracts.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users