• Quick Navigation
Photo

What does the annual chemical audit encompass for an SQF program?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

SpiceyQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

What does the annual chemical audit encompass for an SQF program? I can't find any guidance on it or that it's even required. Can anyone shed some light on this?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

First welcome SpiceyQA!

Next - no light to shed.

Never heard of that one.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:02 PM

What does the annual chemical audit encompass for an SQF program? I can't find any guidance on it or that it's even required. Can anyone shed some light on this?

First, what kind of facility are you? If you're a food manufacturing facility - are you referring to 11.6.4.1 - 11.6.4.5 which is storage of hazardous chemicals and toxic substances.

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like you are talking about a specific thing called a Chemical Audit?  Never heard of that.  

During my limited SQF Audits I have had auditors check we are using appropriate sanitizer, our chemicals were locked away correctly, that I had a SDS available for everything in house, that our hand soap was from an approved supplier, stuff like that.

SpiceyQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

First, what kind of facility are you? If you're a food manufacturing facility - are you referring to 11.6.4.1 - 11.6.4.5 which is storage of hazardous chemicals and toxic substances.

We are a spice blending company so I am referring to 11.6.4- storage of hazardous chemicals

SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Washington Capitals Hockey (2018 Stanley Cup Champions), music, spending time with family

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:40 PM

I just re-read through 11.6.4 Storage of Hazardous Chemicals and Toxic Substances and could not find any sign of an annual chemical audit needed. This section of your code should be covered during your annual internal audit so is that what you mean?

SpiceyQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

I just re-read through 11.6.4 Storage of Hazardous Chemicals and Toxic Substances and could not find any sign of an annual chemical audit needed. This section of your code should be covered during your annual internal audit so is that what you mean?

are a spice blending company so I am referring to 11.6.4- storage of hazardous chemicals

I think so. I just started at this company right after the audit and am trying to figure out what they are trying to do. The internal documents vaguely reference a annual audit in the chemical storage SOPs.

SpiceyQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

"An annual chemical storage will be conducted"

This is the line I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what it means. FYI I cannot ask the former QA Manager as she left on poor standings.

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

I think your previous QA manager was referring to a self inspection or inventory of the chemical and making sure the company is compliant to 11.6.4 not an actual audit per se but I could be wrong. Why not, just go by the SQF guidance itself rather than trying to decode the previous QA manager? 

11.6.4.1 Hazardous chemicals and toxic substances with the potential for food contamination shall be stored so as not to present a hazard to staff, product, packaging, product handling equipment or areas in which the product is handled, stored or transported.

11.6.4.2 Processing utensils and packaging shall not be stored in areas used to store hazardous chemicals and toxic substances.

11.6.4.3 Daily supplies of chemicals used for continuous sanitizing of water or as a processing aid, or for emergency cleaning of food processing equipment or surfaces in food contact zones, may be stored within or in close proximity to a processing area provided access to the chemical storage site is restricted to authorized personnel.

11.6.4.4 Pesticides, rodenticides, fumigants and insecticides shall be stored separate from sanitizers and detergents. All chemicals shall be stored in their original containers, or in clearly labelled and suitable secondary containers if allowed by applicable legislation.

11.6.4.5 Hazardous chemical and toxic substance storage facilities shall:

i. Be compliant with national and local legislation and designed such that there is no cross contamination between chemicals;

ii. Be adequately ventilated;

iii. Be provided with appropriate signage indicating the area is a hazardous storage area;

iv. Be secure and lockable to restrict access only to those personnel with formal training in the handling and use of hazardous chemicals and toxic substances;

v. Have instructions on the safe handling of hazardous chemicals and toxic substances readily accessible to staff;

vi. Be equipped with a detailed and up-to-date inventory of all chemicals contained in the storage site;

vii. Have suitable first aid equipment and protective clothing available close to the storage area;

viii. In the event of a hazardous spill, be designed such that spillage and drainage from the area is contained; and 

ix. Be equipped with spillage kits and cleaning equipment.

Fred73

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:SQFI certified consultant, PCQI, FSVP-QI, IAVA-QI, FS-CP & CCFS. I enjoy analyzing problems in the FS field, solving it and learning in the process.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

I think with "annual chemical audit" he was referencing to a review of the inventory, usage and ensuring all the chemicals went through an approval process and were provided by an approved supplier.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

Speaking from experience... Flush the old system and use the information provided by arahman. Sometimes reinventing the wheel means throwing out the square one first because it doesn't work! We specifically are under Module 13 so ours is much less inclusive than a food manufacturer. We just need to verify food safe are not stored with food safe and keep a cleaning chemical register. Much less involved than Module 11.

SpiceyQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

How would I validate the chemical control program?

Speaking from experience... Flush the old system and use the information provided by arahman. Sometimes reinventing the wheel means throwing out the square one first because it doesn't work! We specifically are under Module 13 so ours is much less inclusive than a food manufacturer. We just need to verify food safe are not stored with food safe and keep a cleaning chemical register. Much less involved than Module 11.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

No misuse occurrences, no product contamination, visual inspections show proper storage and use, logs (if any) are complete and verified, no customer complaints, no controls violated, registers updated, all SDS accounted for etc. Just document these verification and make sure your SOPs reflect your process.

augusteissa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

Hello, 

for this point of SQF Safety Code. Do we need to have inventory of maintenance chimical products (like grease or thing like that).

Thank you.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 March 2020 - 03:53 PM

Yes, that too.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

augusteissa