• Quick Navigation
Photo

False Fingernails, False eyelashes & Piercings.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Heidi H

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:01 PM

Hello,

I just had some questions regarding clarification on False fingernails & False eyelashes and piercings.

We recently had a refresher on our GMPs at our Pet Treat Manufacturing plant and some of the employees were asking for clarification on a few things. The previous Technical Service Manager/SQF Practitioner had allowed certain exceptions.

1. False fingernails – does that include all press on, glue on, and gel type attachments?
    Some employees said they were told they could have gel nails as long as they double-gloved…Are there set standard on this?

1. False eyelashes – does that include all glue on as well as eyelash extensions?
    A couple employees said they were allowed to have eyelash extensions, as they are an extension to our natural eyelashes.

1. Piercings – does this include only all removable “visible” piercings, as well as tongue piercings?

I am not sure if there are food safe set standards for this, or if it just a general blanket statement that the company can determine what can be an exception?

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Heidi

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

It really depends how you write your policy. I would do a risk assessment how likely is it to end up in the finished good.

I do not allow any type of fingernail polish even if double gloved. I have heard from colleagues that they allow for their production employees to wear nail polish just to double glove. 

Eyelashes I allow them to wear extensions since, I do not foresee it falling into the food plus they wear goggles. 

Piercings must all be removed if it is above the hip since, it could potentially land inside the food. We also have metal detectors and have not had any incidents.  

I am curious to hear from others. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Heidi H

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

Our policy states the following:

Fingernails

False Fingernails, and nail polish are NOT allowed for employees working in food processing areas. Keep fingernails clean and neatly trimmed.

Cosmetics

False eyelashes and heavy make-up are not allowed in manufacturing or packaging areas. 

Jewelry

Watches, necklaces, chains, bracelets, earrings, rings and exposed piercings are NOT to be worn in any of the manufacturing, processing and packaging areas to avoid the risk of any item falling into product or inside packaging.

Plain wedding bands without stones and medical alert bracelets are allowed. They just need to be properly secure and covered.

If a piercing is permanent and cannot be removed; it must be taped with a metal detectable band aid and covered with a hair/beard net.

However, the employees said that the previous Technical Service Manager/SQF Practitioner made allowances for eyelash extensions and gel nails/polish if double gloves were used. I mentioned to them, that if the policy say NO then it means NO, unless exceptions are written in.  Am I wrong to "change" the verbal allowances to not exist?

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

Heidi H, We have a very similar policy with the exception of the word "wedding", we changed it to a plain band without stones. Like it or not, in today's society (and multiple times in my own family) traditional events like weddings/marriages are becoming less and less prevalent while wearing a ring to signify a relationship still remains strong (even though sometimes it's a "ring" tattoo.

I have allowed one exemption for a non-production employee (material handler) to wear her wedding ring with a stone due to deep personal commitment and promise to her spouse however, she has to wrap it with several layers of cohesive tape during her working hours which she has complied with daily ever since. Just something to consider.

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,794 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Hi Heidi H,

a lot of standards boil down to risk but this is the approach I have and have seen elsewhere:

1. False fingernails does that include all press on, glue on, and gel type attachments?
    Some employees said they were told they could have gel nails as long as they double-gloved.  Are there set standard on this?

In every place I've worked in all nails and nail art is banned.  This includes visitors.  You could decide to have a different rule for visitors if you like but personally I don't, I think it sends the wrong message.  For staff, it's just a risk you don't need.  Nobody needs to have false nails of any kind.  They can live without them.

1. False eyelashes does that include all glue on as well as eyelash extensions?
    A couple employees said they were allowed to have eyelash extensions, as they are an extension to our natural eyelashes.

Can glue fail?  Yes, that's why I'd ban all types.

1. Piercings does this include only all removable visible piercings, as well as tongue piercings?

I'd include all piercings which are not well covered by clothing so that would include tongue piercings.  I don't need to know nor check anybody's Prince Albert though.   :helpplease:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Heidi H

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

Thank you all for the feed back, it has been very helpful.

I will discuss the risks with our company's HACCP Team and we will formulate our decisions based on the safety risks we find them to pose.

I appreciate all the help.

Have a great day!  :spoton:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users