• Quick Navigation
Photo

How long before hot water reaches the tap. Is there a minimum?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

MrHillman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

Our plumbing takes a world tour before reaching the spigot, is there a minimum time frame for hot water?

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:28 PM

My rule of thumb has been 30 seconds.  We have had to install booster heaters at some hand washing stations to assist in the temperature fluctuations. Our water also takes a bit to reach the stations.  

:coffee:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

The only reference I've seen is with temperature in the FDA Food Code (applies to restaurant service industry).

5-202.12 Handwashing Sink, Installation. (A) A HANDWASHING SINK shall be equipped to provide water at a temperature of at least 38oC (100oF) through a mixing valve or combination faucet. Pf

https://www.fda.gov/...110822/download

There is no mention of a minimum time it must take to reach a set temperature.

MrHillman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

Thanks, google says 10 seconds, I disagree. I

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:01 AM

I wish regulatory bodies and food safety standards would listen to the CDC on hand-washing....cold / warm water doesn't matter, and touching the faucet after handwashing doesn't have data to support bacterial transfer.

https://www.cdc.gov/...andwashing.html

So much focus on equipment needed for handwashing versus spending the time to make sure employees are well trained and wash their hands as much as they should.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:10 AM

Thanks, google says 10 seconds, I disagree. I

so what was google's source ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

I don't know which GFSI scheme you are trying to meet but SQF states that you need potable water at an appropriate temperature.  I look at it as the water temperature should be inviting to encourage the employees to wash their hands.  You don't want the water to take too long to warm up from being cold because people are impatient and may choose not to wash their hands or will not do a very good job.  I have had to wash my hands with cold water and it is very unpleasant, especially if you are already cold.  Also, too hot can be a problem as well.

We did have one auditor that did count when he tested our hand washing stations and he said he looks for the water to warm up within 30 seconds.  I don't know where he got his number from but it was the standard he went by.  My personal point that I made to our management team on this subject is that the water should be warmed within 20-30 seconds as that is about the minimum amount of time one should be lathering his/her hands with soap so by the time one is ready to rinse his/her hands the water should be a comfortable temperature.  If you have automatic faucets it can make it more challenging if the water turns off as soon as you remove your hands from under the spout as the water does not consistently run allowing the water to run through the pipes so you may need an instant heater for the hand wash station. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

ahmed mohamed

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

المرجع الوحيد الذي رأيته هو درجة الحرارة في قانون الأغذية والأدوية FDA (ينطبق على صناعة خدمات المطاعم).

https://www.fda.gov/...110822/download

لا يوجد ذكر لحد أدنى من الوقت يجب أن يستغرق للوصول إلى درجة حرارة محددة.

Thank you for this good points

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users