• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

Hi All! It's been a while!

I'm potentially bringing anhydrous caffeine into my facility to scale up an R&D project, but the stuff scares the heck out of me from a safety perspective. As far as food safety I feel pretty good about being able to verify end product concentrations etc., but does anyone else out there handle this material and willing to share how they weigh up and add to liquids like energy drinks in a safe and controlled manner?

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

Pharmaceutical manufacturers typically blend in stages to ensure even mixing and proper dosing. For example, one might mix 10 g of caffeine with 90 g of dextrose, mix well, and then mix that 100 g of blend with 900 g of dextrose, mix well, and so on.

Thanked by 1 Member:

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

We do not use caffeine but have a product that gets fortified with vitamins A and D.  We have our lab weigh and verify each addition and each batch gets signed off by the lab personnel.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caffeine, energy drinks, workplace safety, safety, concentration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users