• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

Hello!

We are currently planning on building a new quality department/lab (architecturally). I wanted to reach out to everyone on here and ask for some feedback. If you were building a lab/quality department, what would you want in you dream space? We are going to be engaging architects soon, so your feedback is greatly appreciated! Please note we will also be doing in-house micro testing such as APC, YM, and EB. 

So far we are thinking about some of the following items:

• Bench tops that are at an adequate height
  • Bench tops that are easily cleaned
  • Separate Micro room with HEPA filter
  • Separate retained finished product and ingredient storage
  • Good lighting (lighting design engineer to help)

Thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:09 AM

Hello!

We are currently planning on building a new quality department/lab (architecturally). I wanted to reach out to everyone on here and ask for some feedback. If you were building a lab/quality department, what would you want in you dream space? We are going to be engaging architects soon, so your feedback is greatly appreciated! Please note we will also be doing in-house micro testing such as APC, YM, and EB. 

So far we are thinking about some of the following items:

• Bench tops that are at an adequate height
  • Bench tops that are easily cleaned
  • Separate Micro room with HEPA filter
  • Separate retained finished product and ingredient storage
  • Good lighting (lighting design engineer to help)

Thank you!

Hi kdiamond.

Can you inform what kind of business is involved ?

Relevance is obvious.

PS - afaik many US manufacturing units avoid in-house micro. labs due fear of cross-contamination or local Regulatory factors.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

Ohhh...this can be fun, but also stressful.  Hopefully you get a decent budget for this.  I've been lucky to build a lab with a sizable budget, but also had to piece meal one together off shoe string budget.  As Charles said, the design of the lab is based on your process, products, and testing you will be doing.

From my experience, mostly dairy and beverage, here's my input:

• Go with LED lighting.  Cheaper operation and long life.  You can get switches with motion sensors so they will automatically turn on / off when you leave, or no motion is detected, or you arrive.
  • Counter tops.  Depends on what testing you will be doing, along with the reagents and chemicals you will be using.  If you can...go with stainless, but that's quite expensive.  There is ESD Laminate (carbon black surface) which resists a lot of chemicals, but the downside is it scratches quite easily.  Moderate on the price.  Quartz is another option, moderate to cheaper price resists chemicals, resists staining, doesn't really scratch or chip.
    • Consider your power supply options.  At my previous lab they designed the power outlets above the countertop.  It is nice for accessibility, but honestly not a great look, plus cords took up a lot of space on the countertop.  Depending on the cabinets you go with you can get the power supply below the countertop behind cabinets with open back cabinets.
  • What micro testing will you be doing?  How often?  How much testing?  In my opinion, unless the micro testing is very critical to your process or you do a lot of it a separate micro room is a waste of space.  You can use existing lab area to do micro testing with a HEPA supply hood overhead if you want to isolate to some degree.
  • Whatever size you are thinking of for your retains double it.  Honestly, every lab I've been in never has enough room for retain samples.  I would also utilize racks with wheels instead of built in shelving.  This allows you more flexibility and if you run into a temperature control issue you can wheel the racks to a cooler, or other area.  This came in very handy in my last lab.
  • Put a lot of thought into your lab security and restricting personnel access.  Who really needs the access?  How will samples flow through and to and from the lab?  Traffic pattern?  Lock the lab down if you can...I know it can be difficult.
  • Think about the testing flow and try to design the lab around it.  Placement of your instruments, area and room for specific testing, personnel traffic within the lab.

There are laboratory design companies like Genie Scientific, web link below, who can design, build, and install your cabinetry and surface, as well as, any fume hoods if needed.  Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.geniesci...ic.com/products

Thanked by 1 Member:

kdiamond2011

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

Charles - Our business is a cold-pressed bar company. 

Ryan M. - Thank you so much for your comments! Greatly appreciated  :spoton:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Charles - Our business is a cold-pressed bar company. 

Ryan M. - Thank you so much for your comments! Greatly appreciated  :spoton:

I'll add a couple of thoughts.

Granite makes beautiful, tough, counter tops.

Everybody forgets about safely handling of the waste from  micro. labs. = 2 autoclaves + separate room + exit.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users