crystalQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Traveling, Spanish + Mandarin + Korean language, Cosmetics, Nutrition.

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Good day to all,

I would like some clarity on the use of polystyrene in packaging of confections (lollipops).

I understand that the use of styrofoam is banned in California in restaurant / food vendors, but cannot find any law specifically stating the use of it in packaging for retail. Can anyone send me some references if there is a law stating the ban in retail confection? 

Thank you 

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:02 PM

Reading through this, it sounds to me as though this applies to restaurants and grocery stores. If you're using Styrofoam packaging for retail goods sold to the cities in CA with ordinances, then this would potentially pose a problem for you. I'm also seeing that these ordinances vary by city.

Based on what I have read, this ban regards polystyrene foam take-out food containers, egg cartons, cups, etc. Why would lollipops have this type of packaging? Are you referring to sticks made of polystyrene for the lollipops? In this case, I do see that restaurants in some cities can only dispense plastic straws or utensils upon customer request. There's no word on that for grocery stores. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

crystalQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Traveling, Spanish + Mandarin + Korean language, Cosmetics, Nutrition.

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

QAGB - 

Thank you for your response ! 

The polystyrene is used to prop the lollipops up in their display, I've attached an image. 

Anyhow, it seems like our company is OK, I just wanted to check in case someone knew something we didn't.

Attached Files

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

Ah, I see. Yes - you could be affected depending on the specific ordinances where you are selling your goods. I have to imagine that if insulated coolers made of the expanded polystyrene are banned in some locations, your application could fair the same.

As beautiful as California is - it can be a really annoying state.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users