• 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:44 PM

Hello,

I need help with our Cooking CCP.

We produce fried products for e.g. plant based meatballs and fritters. They are fried in oil at more than 190 degrees C.
We have validated the frying speed of the fryer for each product using temperature data logger inside the piece to have temperature and time for Listeria kill, I.e. equivalent to 70oC for 2 minutes. At the exit of the friyer is our CCP where we are checking the core temperature of the pieces to be more than 75oC.

We know that for each CCP it is both temperature and time required. But since our fritters are quite small (9-20grams) it's not practical to probe them with thermometer and wait for 26 seconds ( for Listeria kill) as they will get cold in the meanwhile. Does any one have an experience with similar products? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

We produce fried products for e.g. plant based meatballs and fritters. They are fried in oil at more than 190 degrees C.
We have validated the frying speed of the fryer for each product using temperature data logger inside the piece to have temperature and time for Listeria kill, I.e. equivalent to 70oC for 2 minutes. At the exit of the friyer is our CCP where we are checking the core temperature of the pieces to be more than 75oC.

We know that for each CCP it is both temperature and time required. But since our fritters are quite small (9-20grams) it's not practical to probe them with thermometer and wait for 26 seconds ( for Listeria kill) as they will get cold in the meanwhile. Does any one have an experience with similar products? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently took a seafood HACCP course and I remember in one of the lessons, your problem was mentioned and they came up with what to do. Here is the pdf document that can help you:) (Particularly page 7) Yes your'e not seafood but its a general guide that mentions your problem. Hope it helps!

Attached Files

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

Hi Technigal,

Yr query essentially relates to validation of the CCP/critical limits.

My experience is with cooking seafood lines but the logic should be similar.

Does the data logger only store T vs t data ?

If so, the usual technique is to integrate the results to determine the lethality of the process which then enables calculation of the xD log reduction which should comply with yr L.monocytogenes requirement (6D if based on a 2 minutes/70degC criterion).

The detailed logic/procedure is available in textbooks/online. Excel charts which plot the data and do the lethality maths automatically are available on this forum.

I don't understand why it takes 26 sec ?.  IMEX of medium shrimp lines, thin thermocouple probes should be quicker than that.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

If you can validate the process with a specific temperature for your oil and time of product immersion, you could potentially change your CCP monitoring to a timer and oil temperature rather than product internal temperature, that would save you from operator error temping the small items on a batch-by-batch basis.

Then you would have QA verify on a schedule that the CCP monitoring validation is still valid.

-Austin

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

If you can validate the process with a specific temperature for your oil and time of product immersion, you could potentially change your CCP monitoring to a timer and oil temperature rather than product internal temperature, that would save you from operator error temping the small items on a batch-by-batch basis.

Then you would have QA verify on a schedule that the CCP monitoring validation is still valid.

-Austin

Hi Austin,

Nice to hear from you.

I agree yr logic, in fact IMEX the CCP can be solely based on T/t.

However some operators like to "reassure" that the process is running smoothly via randomly testing that the output core temperature/cooked product OLQ characteristics are adequate/appropriate. Confidence/Verification factor.

(Theoretically if all the output could be shown as having an output  "core" temperature of >=75degC it is (validatably) probable that 6D reduction for L.mono is assured however, in practice, this route is not always so simple/believable.)

An additional part of the Validation is to assess the L.mono level for input and output.

PS - it depends on the process parameters (eg input capacity/input temperature) but I anticipate that some very short frying times might be involved here. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users