• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there a Quality Code portion in BRC issue 8 of the standard?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

rtorres

Grade - Active

• 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Is there a Quality Code portion in BRC issue 8 of the standard similar to the SQF Quality Code?

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

Do you have any specifics you can share on this 'quality code'? I expect a lot of the members will be familiar with either SQF or BRC largely dependant on which side of the pond they are.

Hopefully a member with a good enough knowledge of both standards can provide an answer, though to be safe I'd suggest expanding on the 'quality code' so BRC based folk will know what it is - BRC does cover aspects of quality but I haven't heard of a quality code per se.

Thanked by 1 Member:

rtorres

Grade - Active

• 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thats the thing I am not familiar with SQF, so what is the SQF quality code and what is the equivalent to BRC

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:27 PM

You can download the SQF quality code for free from here: https://www.sqfi.com...lity1212017.pdf

My (admittedly somewhat limited) understanding is that it is effectively an add-on to the primary SQF code, and effectively adds quality requirements on top of the food safety elements of the main code - see for example 2.1.1.1 in the link, referring to establishing quality objectives, meeting customer quality requirements, methods to measure and continually improve etc.

BRC doesn't have a separate add-on of this type, but does encompass some quality aspects within the primary "Food Safety" standard. This isn't an isolate section, but rather is incorporated throughout the standard - for example the policy required under clause 1.1.1 stipulated a required for "the specified quality", in addition to the expected food safety, authenticity and legality requirements.

Similarly section 3 is about the "Food safety and quality management system".

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:32 AM

Is there a Quality Code portion in BRC issue 8 of the standard similar to the SQF Quality Code?

Assuming you meant a separately documented Code/Standard the answer is simply No.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

john.kukoly

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 56 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

It's a difference in terminology and structure of the two standards. SQF covers food safety, with a separate set of requirements for quality. Essentially two similar programs each focused on the specific. This is similar to FSSC 22000, which covers food safety, and they recommend ISO 9001 for those who want to bring quality into the mix.

BRCGS embeds quality into the single document.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

It's a difference in terminology and structure of the two standards. SQF covers food safety, with a separate set of requirements for quality. Essentially two similar programs each focused on the specific. This is similar to FSSC 22000, which covers food safety, and they recommend ISO 9001 for those who want to bring quality into the mix.

BRCGS embeds quality into the single document.

Hi john,

Thks for comment.

I suggest that "embed" is somewhat "hyperbolic". :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users