• Quick Navigation
Photo

Cutting Board sanitation...does it need verifying and documenting?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Cooking, Gardening, Reading, Watching movies

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:37 AM

Hi All,

We are Hypermarket chain. For our fresh food areas we are using chlorine tablets for the sanitation of the cutting boards (1tablet/8 Ltr water - 120 PPM - Duration :- over night keeping) &  using chlorine checking strips to  monitor the PPM of the water before putting the cutting boards. 

We not maintaining any records for the practice as it not our PRP/OPRP. 

The practice is like this 

1. Before closing the shop all the using cutting boards are washed & keeping inside the water (after checking the PPM).

2.The next morning before starting the work all the cutting boards are removed from the water and rinse & keep for drying then using as normal.

In our recent re-certification audit our auditor pointed out that we have to maintain record for the cutting board sanitation & must keep a third party verification test report for the chlorine residue. 

Do we need to maintain a record for the practice. & does it  require a chemical test for the cutting boards.

Dr.Khan

DR

• IFSQN Senior
  • 314 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food, Reading technical information,provding technical help in QA,R&D,staff Training, products and processes optimisation, watching documentaries and making presentations
    AM available as consultant in Quality Assurance, Product & process development/ optimisation, staff training and trouble shooting in complex manufacturing Environment

Cal me on +61411588329 to discuss your requirements.

Am available for International Assignments

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

Hi Sawad

Regardless this step is your PRP/OPRP. or not. It is an important step in your operations so auditor is right that you must keep the record of sanitation operations however, there is no need for third part verification report. your record should be detailed enough to show that operations is carried our under the required chlorine level condition

Kind regards

Dr Humaid Khan

Managing Director

Halal International Services

Australia

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

Hi Sawad

Regardless this step is your PRP/OPRP. or not. It is an important step in your operations so auditor is right that you must keep the record of sanitation operations however, there is no need for third part verification report. your record should be detailed enough to show that operations is carried our under the required chlorine level condition

Kind regards

Dr Humaid Khan

Managing Director

Halal International Services

Australia

We have created checklist for the purpose. 

Attached Files

Edited by Sawad, 26 November 2019 - 08:27 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

Hi All,

We are Hypermarket chain. For our fresh food areas we are using chlorine tablets for the sanitation of the cutting boards (1tablet/8 Ltr water - 120 PPM - Duration :- over night keeping) &  using chlorine checking strips to  monitor the PPM of the water before putting the cutting boards. 

We not maintaining any records for the practice as it not our PRP/OPRP. 

The practice is like this 

1. Before closing the shop all the using cutting boards are washed & keeping inside the water (after checking the PPM).

2.The next morning before starting the work all the cutting boards are removed from the water and rinse & keep for drying then using as normal.

In our recent re-certification audit our auditor pointed out that we have to maintain record for the cutting board sanitation & must keep a third party verification test report for the chlorine residue. 

Do we need to maintain a record for the practice. & does it  require a chemical test for the cutting boards.

Hi Sawad,

Standard = ?

Boards are PE ?

You typically need to validate / verify yr Cleaning-Sanitising  Procedure, eg via ATP or micro data.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

So you are questioning the Auditor finding?

Regardless - yes, your Auditor is correct.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

HARegardless of what standard you have, Record keeping is a MUST. You need evidence of monitoring procedures! Do you know the 7th principle of HACCP

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:31 AM

Actually we have been certified by the B.V for

Hi Sawad,

Standard = ?

Boards are PE ?

You typically need to validate / verify yr Cleaning-Sanitising  Procedure, eg via ATP or micro data.

we are conducting food test in every month. Food, water & surface swabs. In surface swabs we include knifes, cutting boards, equipments, food contacting surfaces like table top etc. So far no failures in the food test (surface swabs). The only thing we didint maintain is the record. and also was wondering does it requires chemical residue test for the cutting board.

milagr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

I am not sure whether  test strips that measure 120 ppm are available in  India, for chlorine.  I think they are multiples of 50. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:25 PM

Actually we have been certified by the B.V for

we are conducting food test in every month. Food, water & surface swabs. In surface swabs we include knifes, cutting boards, equipments, food contacting surfaces like table top etc. So far no failures in the food test (surface swabs). The only thing we didint maintain is the record. and also was wondering does it requires chemical residue test for the cutting board.

Hi sawad,

It's often done to swab hands also.

I assume "no failures" means swab data complies with Indian Standard.

I also wondered how you confirm 120 ppm ?. IMEX  DPD/colorimeter test tablets are necessary.

The chemical residue seems excessive  but maybe relates to the specific nature of the chlorine tablet ? Or was added to be nit-picky.

If the micro data is OK, yr auditor should be happy anyway.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:31 AM

Hi sawad,

It's often done to swab hands also.

I assume "no failures" means swab data complies with Indian Standard.

I also wondered how you confirm 120 ppm ?. IMEX  DPD/colorimeter test tablets are necessary.

The chemical residue seems excessive  but maybe relates to the specific nature of the chlorine tablet ? Or was added to be nit-picky.

If the micro data is OK, yr auditor should be happy anyway.

We are using chlorine test trips for checking the chlorine. The strip shows color change  depending on the PPM, multiples of 50 and indicating the color change in the strips. if between 100 & 150. 

We doing hand swabs also. 

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:33 AM

I am not sure whether  test strips that measure 120 ppm are available in  India, for chlorine.  I think they are multiples of 50. 

I am in Bahrain. Yes the strips are in multiples of 50PPM (color change). We checking if its between 100 & 150. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

I am in Bahrain. Yes the strips are in multiples of 50PPM (color change). We checking if its between 100 & 150. 

TBH, if yr test paper is similarly coloured to what I have used, I would say 120ppm is guesswork. :smile:

Nonetheless I doubt that there is much sanitizing difference in the range 100-150 ppm anyway.

(it might be worth checking what the ppm is at the end of soaking, you may get a surprise),

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:28 AM

TBH, if yr test paper is similarly coloured to what I have used, I would say 120ppm is guesswork. :smile:

Nonetheless I doubt that there is much sanitizing difference in the range 100-150 ppm anyway.

(it might be worth checking what the ppm is at the end of soaking, you may get a surprise),

Yes its a guess work. I didnt check at the end of the soaking period. But I have kept the water with the tablets and checked for at regular intervals to ensure there would be any color change. But didnt get any color change ( kept the water for 1 day. )

Any way will check at the end of the cycle. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users