• Quick Navigation
Photo

Who should fill in corrective action forms?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

karak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Good Morning, 

Who is supposed to be filling out a corrective actions form for an issue with one of our products. It's always been my understanding that this is supposed to be done by our SQF practitioner, in this case that would be our Quality Control manager.

However, I am being asked to do this. I work in QC but I hold no certification whatsoever. I simply send our products to a third party lab for micro testing. i appreciate any insight on this.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Root cause analysis and corrective/preventive action should be determined by the person in charge of the relevant department as they know their process best and will have ownership of the solution. 

If the proposed corrective/preventive action is not good enough then it may need further input from the quality or technical department.  Exactly who writes back to the customer is dependent on how your business is organised.  It could be the SQF Practitioner, Quality Manager or a junior member of staff under their guidance.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 2 Members:

karak

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

Simon, 

Thank you  for your response. The information is very helpful.

Regards, 

Kara

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

is your issue related to your QC task of sending samples out to the 3rd party lab for testing? Does your job description only states the above specific job? Your job description does not include the generic "any other task assigned from time to time" statement?

Maybe your SQFP is asking you to fill out the corrective action form to get idea or assistance because he/she deemed or thought you might capable of doing this?

Usually corrective action plans are internal unless this is shared or required to be communicated back to the customer. You might not be in the position to respond directly to customer but a corrective action plan requires brainstorming to identify the root cause, the cliche more heads is better than one is applicable to this.

You sounded upset that you are being asked to do this. I would clarify my job description and training/ qualifications with my manager if you are not capable or refuse to do this task...

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

If the SQF practitioner had to do everything, you would never be able to implement it in a large company. SQF practitioner is responsible for making sure they system is implemented, but do not need to be the reviewer on everything. They have to delegate.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users