Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

As a new member of my company (I started working here on sept 20/2019) I am now starting to create our SQF program. it can be very overwhelming at times trying to figure out exactly how to write procedures and schedules for everything. the project I am currently trying to start, is coming up with a preventive maintenance schedule/plan for our company. (we are are bottled water manufacturing company that goes straight from preforms to finished product to be shipped world wide). I have a fairly uncooperative maintenance manager that doesn't want to help me because he says that the manuals for each piece of equipment should already have these schedules included in them. but this is an older company who has unfortunately not hung on to its (very old) equipment manuals. any suggestions on a format or template to use as a starting point? I have googled preventive maintenance schedules/plans and all I have really succeeded in finding is software to download. I would really appreciate any help on where to get started on this. Thanks everybody!

Ashley

SQFP 

Nanton Water & Soda Ltd.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:25 PM

Look at https://www.cogz.com/

This is what most of our clients use and what we are setting up right now during an SQF implementation phase in Virginia USA.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

rose32

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

Look at https://www.cogz.com/

This is what most of our clients use and what we are setting up right now during an SQF implementation phase in Virginia USA.

My CEO does not want me to spend any money on software or computer programs to do my schedules. he only wants me to use spreadsheets from excel. any thoughts on templates that might help me?

patti.garcia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:11 PM

I also work for an older company with a non-existent PM system. I decided to break it into more manageable chunks and determined what was actually "critical". Critical for us was anything that touched the product after final filtration. We are a bottling facility. From there we were able to come up with an equipment list and a feasible action plan for maintenance. Now that we have the list and a plan that they have begun to implement I have them starting to measure OEE Once that is working ok I think they will see the power of a good system and add on more of the equipment. We do have an outdated maintenance program (MP2) but just getting them to look at critical equipment was a huge milestone.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:27 PM

Theres absolutely no need for a unique software solution, a checklist or spreadhseet database will satisfy the requirements provided you can demonstrate that

• There are planned maintenance activities to keep equipment and facility from contributing food safety hazards.
  • You are completing those activities in a timely manner.
  • You have verified that this stuff is happening and having an effect on the safety of our facility (e.g. no foreign material issues).

I was at a bottled water manufacturer and did both QA and maintenance. Key points are going to be facility maintenance to maintain SQF facility standards, and maintenance of any systems that support your food safety plan such as filtration, UV, Ozone systems, and foreign material prevention in your blow molding and bottling lines.

Feel free to shoot me an email and we can chat about how to put something together for your specific facility, but you've already hit the key issue, the problem isn't going to be what system you implement, but getting your maintenance guy onboard with it.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

rose32

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:53 PM

Theres absolutely no need for a unique software solution, a checklist or spreadhseet database will satisfy the requirements provided you can demonstrate that

• There are planned maintenance activities to keep equipment and facility from contributing food safety hazards.
  • You are completing those activities in a timely manner.
  • You have verified that this stuff is happening and having an effect on the safety of our facility (e.g. no foreign material issues).

I was at a bottled water manufacturer and did both QA and maintenance. Key points are going to be facility maintenance to maintain SQF facility standards, and maintenance of any systems that support your food safety plan such as filtration, UV, Ozone systems, and foreign material prevention in your blow molding and bottling lines.

Feel free to shoot me an email and we can chat about how to put something together for your specific facility, but you've already hit the key issue, the problem isn't going to be what system you implement, but getting your maintenance guy onboard with it.

I would love to pick your brain a bit about this, not sure what your email is though lol

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

I would love to pick your brain a bit about this, not sure what your email is though lol

the email is in the link in 3F's signature.

We avoid posting such in the forum since it attracts spammers.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

JohannesTrithemius

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

You could always look into the open source movement. I have a friend with a car shop that uses a free/open source CMMS program, and it works just fine.

Bo16

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

All our Preventive Maintenance Schedules are done in Excel.  

The simpler the better.  We have different schedules for different departments:
Examples:

Lab schedule is extensive, schedule is set up as a monthly calendar since some things are done daily.  (Daily weight checks, weekly water bath cleaning, daily room cleaning in Micro)  Each year and with the addition or replacement of a piece of equipment the schedule is updated (new thermometer that needs calibration, refrigerator checks etc.)  The monthly calendar is used as a check list for Manager Review, all PM are documented on/in logbook or PM sheets for specific equipment.

Warehouse PM/housekeeping:   (other paperwork from outside contractors, calibration is stored in assigned locations as per SOP or attached to the completed log sheet.)
Monthly: Listed as a log sheet to include signatures/dates of employees:  forklift battery PM, floor cleaning, dusting
Yearly:  Listed as a log sheet to include signatures/dates of employees/contractors that do the work:  cooler maintenance (outside contractor), Fire suppression maintenance, etc.
Department Review

Production area / Equipment PM Log:
Listed by Month or year depending on the Production area:  This is used as a check list for Manager Review:  all PM for production Equipment is documented in the Equipment/room logbook for that particular area/unit.  (Scheduled by the manager,  work order issued usually with an attached SOP)

The most important thing is that you include everything!  and that Management review all schedules to ensure completeness.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maintenance, schedule, preventive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users