Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:33 AM

Our central kitchen is only for marinating the chicken. This semi-processed chicken is then packed and delivered to our restaurants. there is an allergen such as milk, wheat, and soy in a seasoning powder mixture used for only one product.  In such a case, can we say that there are no allergies in the allergen policy?

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

Our central kitchen is only for marinating the chicken. This semi-processed chicken is then packed and delivered to our restaurants. there is an allergen such as milk, wheat, and soy in a seasoning powder mixture used for only one product.  In such a case, can we say that there are no allergies in the allergen policy?

Hi Savani,

I'm a little confused, and wondering if you were meant to say "there is not" in the red text above?

If this is the case and if you are not using any allergens in any ingredients and processing on site, you can specify in your allergen policy that no allergens are used. However bear in mind unintentional allergen contamination i.e. from staff food and controls you have in place;

Savani B

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Hi Savani,

I'm a little confused, and wondering if you were meant to say "there is not" in the red text above?

If this is the case and if you are not using any allergens in any ingredients and processing on site, you can specify in your allergen policy that no allergens are used. However bear in mind unintentional allergen contamination i.e. from staff food and controls you have in place;  

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. In my case,  there are allergens in the seasoning powder as an ingredients of the seasoning powder only. This seasoning power supply from our approved supplier. We only do the marinating, packing and delivering. Hence  I have mentioned   "Central kitchen does not have allergens present in the facility" in the allergen policy and also list out the below mentioned allergen and not allowed to bring them to the premises. 

1) Peanuts

2) Tree Nuts (e.g. almonds, pecans, walnuts)

3) Crustaceans/Shellfish (e.g. crab, lobster, shrimp)

4) Eggs

5) Milk and Dairy Products

6) Fish (e.g. bass, flounder, cod)

7) Soybeans

8) Wheat

Therefore i want to know  if there is allergen in the seasoning powder as a ingredient of it,  should I want to declare it in the allergen policy. 

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

Are you marinating on site using the seasoning powder? Is 'central kitchen' your site or another? Any allergens you have used in a product whether you are processing or storing should be included in the allergen policy.

Thanked by 2 Members:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:25 PM

No, you can not say there are no allergens in your policy - they must be there.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

if your seasoning contains allergens, and used to marinate the chicken in your kitchen, then you have allergens and can't say you don't have because you obviously do.... or am I missing something? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users