• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there an acceptable level for metal particles in turmeric dye?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

VINAYAHR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

We started a new process of production of turmeric dye. We have so many magnets in between of 10K Gauss strength. And one metal detector. But we can't able to achieve 100% particles free product. For every 1 g sample we are finding two to three very tiny metal particles. How to solve this? Is any acceptable limit/level present as per the food regulatory guidelines (USA, EU etc)? Please share your views on this.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:12 PM

How do you receive the tumeric - how does it come into your facility (what form.)?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

VINAYAHR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

How do you receive the tumeric - how does it come into your facility (what form.)?

We receive Raw turmeric in a woven bags capacity 50 KG; From this we extract the cur cumin by solvents. Obtained Oleo resin is washed with combination of solvents, crystallize, filter, dry, powdering and packing. All these stages we have 10 to 12K Gauss magnets finally a metal detector. However, we still getting the metal particles !!!!

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

I presume you're not doing the solvent extraction on the whole turmeric - is there some sort of preliminary processing that is introducing the metal?

If so, is the same process being used for any other raw materials, and are you having the same problems with them?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:21 AM

We started a new process of production of turmeric dye. We have so many magnets in between of 10K Gauss strength. And one metal detector. But we can't able to achieve 100% particles free product. For every 1 g sample we are finding two to three very tiny metal particles. How to solve this? Is any acceptable limit/level present as per the food regulatory guidelines (USA, EU etc)? Please share your views on this.

Hi Vinayahr,

I anticipate that most FS authorities would probably classify this as "adulteration" or something similar.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users