• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC 7.2.4 - metal detectable plasters, X-ray detectable also?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

victor@integraquality

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

Does anyone know how this clause applies to X-Ray Machines? I have a site which is trying to work out if they need to buy X-Ray detectable plasters...

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

That's a good question!
The standard and the IG both talk exclusively about metal detection. If no-one here can help with direct experience then it might be worth asking on the BRC Participate forum? (Please share the answer here if you go that route).

skern

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

I think it might depend on what you have listed as your final CCP?  I purchased x-ray detectable plasters because I had an x-ray as my final CCP.  In my plants that only had  metal detectors as the final CCP, we did not have x-ray detectable plasters.

PieGuy191

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 30 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:06 PM

Hi Victor,

From an SQF Ed. 8.1 Section 11.3.1.3. states "Minor cuts or abrasions on exposed parts of the body shall be covered with a colored bandage containing a metal strip or an alternative suitable waterproof and colored dressing.”.  They don't differentiate as being detectable by metal detectors or x-ray machines.  We utilize plasters that contain a tungsten strip in them so that our x-ray can see them.  Our product is fruit pies that are in an aluminum pan which obviously cannot go through a metal detector.  So we had to find plasters that had a strip of something other than aluminum for our purposes.  We get them from Detectamet who services the UK, Canada, and the US.   Not sure the equivalent wording for BRC.  We took took the stance a long time ago that even if it wasn't required, we should just to make the ability to find one as strong as possible.

Hope that helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

victor@integraquality

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, all. I'm afraid SQF doesn't help me, I am specifically concerned with BRC interpretation. 

BRC is written with the assumption that the site has metal detection, unless something more robust is in place such as X-ray or fine sieving. Obviously, if sieving is used in place of metal detection (such as in a flour mill for example), then metal detectable plasters are overkill, but I'm not sure what the position is on X-ray detection

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:26 AM

Post 2 seems a practical option.

Based on my reading of the BRC/IG, I think you are not obliged to implement X-ray detectable plasters although such would presumably not be regarded unfavourably.

IMO clause 7.2.4/IG  also (implicitly) deals with an operational absence of MDs.

The Process/absolute volume of band-aid usage/likelihood of contamination is perhaps also relevant.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users