Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

How do you challenge a crisis management plan?

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

We liked to pick a scenario then hold a "Dungeons and Dragons" session around the table talking about what we would need to do and the resources we would need to pull. Ours was for the facility flooding, so we had to walk though how we would determine whether product was okay or not, how to clean up, safety considerations, contractors we would need, etc.

Helps us keep up our "resource list" and provides a guide in the event the thing actually happens.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:33 PM

Have someone you and your plant employees do not know attempt a breach of the facility - have that person do whatever is needed to attempt it and then document the entire process.

The excercise does not have to result in 100% - it is intended as a learning tool.

I did a breach exercise at several plants, one of which I entered an open gate that was supposed to be locked at 2am in the morning, and then walked into the facility and walked all around drinking a can of soda and wearing a lab coat, hardhat - nobody stopped me.

That was fun.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:36 PM

Have someone you and your plant employees do not know attempt a breach of the facility - have that person do whatever is needed to attempt it and then document the entire process.

The excercise does not have to result in 100% - it is intended as a learning tool.

I did a breach exercise at several plants, one of which I entered an open gate that was supposed to be locked at 2am in the morning, and then walked into the facility and walked all around drinking a can of soda and wearing a lab coat, hardhat - nobody stopped me.

That was fun.

Doesn't that fall under "Food Defense" and not Crisis Management though? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:44 PM

How do you challenge a crisis management plan?

Pick a natural disaster . Follow the procedures you have in the crisis management plan procedure, 

Lets see flash flooding, what are the procedures you will be dealing with when it happens?? How will your protect your food supply during crisis? What will you do? Who will you contact?

This is taken from the guide:

The site is required to identify a crisis management team including a senior decision maker and ensure the team is
trained in crisis management procedures. The team shall identify known threats to the business which could disrupt
or impact its ability to produce and provide safe, quality food and prepare a plan describing the methods and controls
the site will implement to address these threats if they were to occur and how to maintain continuity of product supply
during the crisis.
The plan must document in detail the controls the site will implement to assure that quality is not compromised and
that if the integrity of any product is compromised, how the product will be isolated and controlled. The plan should
ensure that everyone on the crisis management team is familiar with the withdrawal and recall procedures the site
has documented under 2.6.3.
The plan needs to include criteria for when controls will be implemented (e.g., numbers of hours with no power, rise in
product temperature prior to moving to alternative storage locations, etc.) and how criteria will be monitored during
the business threat condition. Criteria are to be product specific, as appropriate. Also included are product review
and disposition criteria to determine what product is recoverable, what is salvageable and what is to be destroyed.
Methods for recovery, salvage, and destruction shall be described within plan.
Communication during a crisis is important. Methods for communication with customers, stakeholders and news
media must be described and the individual (s) who is/are responsible for communication (s) must be identified.
Specifically is must include when and how customers will be notified should the site be unable to supply products that
meet their customer quality requirements.
The plan shall include a crisis alert contact list, sources of legal and practitioner assistance which may counsel senior
management in a crisis situation and designation of responsibilities for internal and external communication during a
crisis.
The crisis management plan shall be reviewed at least annually. All elements of the plan need to be tested. This
could include a mock press release, mock incident, requirement to contact external storage locations, etc. The key
provision is to have a mock crisis identified, product identified, criteria for monitoring of affected product, actions that
would be taken based on results from monitoring, and final disposition of identified product. If a mock communication
is created, it is not recommended to contact customers for fear of confusion.
Records of this review are required.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 2 Members:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

Doesn't that fall under "Food Defense" and not Crisis Management though? 

Yup, and this is what happens when I work too long a day on an SQF implementation - having to deal with suppliers today to re-qualify them, all 183 of them - no wonder I'm starting to get tired, so yes that applies to food defense.

For crisis we made up a incident involving a hurricane situation that took out a part of the building and then did the exercise based on that.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

crabcake5

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:15 PM

thank you everyone! :spoton:

Tresa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 115 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:50 PM

Can anyone share their crisis management challenge report? I would like to learn how others document the challenge. I would appreciate it. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users