• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to Write an Investigation of Pest Activity?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

emilynutra90

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here know or have an idea on how to write an investigation of Pest Activity? A Pest company found a mouse inside the building and I have to write an investigation. Any insight would be so much appreciated.

Thank you.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

I would think it should be part of your Corrective Action form, because investigation is included along with Root cause (where did the mouse com from, any openings, holes, spilled food, possible coming from your shipments), And what you did to correct it and to prevent it. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 22 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

Corrective action: Check premises (holes on wall), check shipping/receiving activity (is the door prompt open often)

Preventative action: Add pest activity in your regular facility walk check form (sign of droppings, sign of roosting, food spill)

Thanked by 1 Member:

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

check pest company service reports to see whether there was previous pest activity? is there a trend? particular month? particular area of the facility?

are you receiving docks, man doors properly sealed? are the trailers checked or pests and/or pest activity before unloading shipment?

Is there any training for people on the floor on how to report pest activity? 

Thanked by 1 Member:

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

If it was found inside the building, you should include further monitoring and Trend analysis of the specific rodent found, in CAPA.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:01 AM

I have seen some reports do a starburst investigation on these types of issues, much like you would see for bacteria review.  The mousetrap is checked and then everything around it, if there is another hit with some sort of activity then you burst around that area to check as well.  When you right it up on your report you would be showing that you did a root cause analysis and that you have taken corrective action to prevent it in the future.  I rely relatively heavily on the third party that I have contracted for pest control.  Their records and corrective actions tend to check the box.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 1 Member:

krobinson1970

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

All of those recommendations are great ones.  To put them all together I would include a review of the log book looking for any previous sightings or captures and maybe even any and all recommendations for corrective action to ensure the normal stuff is addressed.  Call for a meeting with your pest control provider to review the program and look for gaps,  consider increasing service frequency for a limited time and maybe even zone out the facility to carefully inspect all the areas.  If this is a warehouse you have to be concerned with product or materials being brought in with activity from the supplier.  These zone inspections will help you to narrow down your search to attempt to isolate the the problem.   These rodents typicaly set up a small home range, the quicker you work to find the source the better your chances are to rule out a larger problem.  Involve sanitation to alert management if they find damaged product or droppings.   Hope this is helpful.

Keith Robinson, BCE
VP of Pest Control
Fine Tune

Thanked by 2 Members:

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

Also assess and remove harborage, inside and outside.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here know or have an idea on how to write an investigation of Pest Activity? A Pest company found a mouse inside the building and I have to write an investigation. Any insight would be so much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi emily,

So what is yr present Procedure/Monitoring scheme for rodents ? Input from Pest Control Company (this is what you are paying for !) ?

A selection of typical "Procedures" are compiled here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...rt/#entry111385

Offhand, I suggest you have a look at the "follow-up" Rentokil example in file pc6 / Pg 28/33

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV