• Quick Navigation
Photo

What do hairy white spots in a brownie mean?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

gud2ya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:55 AM

What do white spots in brownie mean? When magnified, these are hairy with spots at the hair tips.

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:38 AM

Are the white spots visual without being magnified?

Mould, yeast outbreak or lumps of flour?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:19 AM

Does the brownie have a chocolate outer layer/coating?
If so, in addition to the potential micro considerations then this could possibly also be chocolate "bloom" (although I'm less sure about the "hairy" presentation you're seeing).

Somewhat hesitant to give a Wikipedia link as a reference in this most esteemed of forums, but nonetheless this does give a reasonable overview: https://en.wikipedia...Chocolate_bloom

Thanked by 1 Member:

gud2ya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

Are the white spots visual without being magnified?

Mould, yeast outbreak or lumps of flour?

Cottony without a microscope.

Hairy or fibrous if magnified 

gud2ya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:42 AM

Does the brownie have a chocolate outer layer/coating?
If so, in addition to the potential micro considerations then this could possibly also be chocolate "bloom" (although I'm less sure about the "hairy" presentation you're seeing).

Somewhat hesitant to give a Wikipedia link as a reference in this most esteemed of forums, but nonetheless this does give a reasonable overview: https://en.wikipedia...Chocolate_bloom

I've considered it being a chocolate bloom but blooms occurs only on chocolates and confectionery, not baked products, right?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:56 AM

I've considered it being a chocolate bloom but blooms occurs only on chocolates and confectionery, not baked products, right?

I'd be very surprised to see it on the baked goods themselves, hence the question about whether there is a chocolate coating.

I guess it could also affect chocolate chips/chunks if visible at the surface, but then you'd probably notice the pattern if it was only visible on those ;)

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

Sounds like mold to me. But are they white white and not whitish/greenish? The bakery I worked at we had those and customers complained so we changed the formula to add preservatives.

Edited by The Food Scientist, 12 December 2019 - 02:03 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like mold to me. But are they white white and not whitish/greenish? The bakery I worked at we had those and customers complained so we changed the formula to add preservatives.

Molds come in all the colors of the rainbow.

Easiest check would be to hang onto it for a few days and see if it gets bigger. That would pretty much confirm it as mold unless there's a cool chemistry reaction happening I'm unfamiliar with.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,408 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:02 AM

Chocolate, or compound chocolate will bloom, and turn white... or part of the inclusions/toppings will turn white if the fat in the chocolate was held at higher than specified temperatures or the fat in the chocolate or compound had oxidized. Rancidity follows.

Marshall

gud2ya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the replies.

To dig deeper, why don't blooms occur in baked products but only on chocolate and chocolate coatings?

Does it have something to do with the porousity of the surface?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users