• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

Hi All,

Our company is looking for someone to produce a hard-to-find ingredient on our behalf. It's something we could produce in-house but might be difficult for us due to cross-contamination issues. However, the requirements for approving a supplier vs. a contract manufacturer are really different per the SQF codes (we are SQF certified for both Safety and Quality). My question is: What makes the difference between a contract manufacturer and a supplier? 

We're not asking the outside firm to create a final product for us, just an ingredient. But in the way we're thinking about it now, since it is a unique, hard-to-find ingredient, that we would provide the recipe, production guidance, and legal support for the manufacturer. I feel like we're blurring the line between a contract manufacturer and an ingredient supplier, but I'm not sure how to call it. Maybe contract manufacturer refers just to finished, ready-to-sell product, but that's not clear in the code (or I missed it).

Thanks!  

Jean Carmona

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

Hello @QC in NC, im no expert in this matter but i will share my humble thoughts and let the experts later judge me.  :spoton:

- Contract manufacturer is when you ask that company to produce your final product and not just a part of it. (I think).

- In this case if that ingredient is part of your HACCP, it can not be accounted as a contract manufacturer but as a supplier.

However, wait always for an expert's opinion.

Hope this helps.....

Hi All,

Our company is looking for someone to produce a hard-to-find ingredient on our behalf. It's something we could produce in-house but might be difficult for us due to cross-contamination issues. However, the requirements for approving a supplier vs. a contract manufacturer are really different per the SQF codes (we are SQF certified for both Safety and Quality). My question is: What makes the difference between a contract manufacturer and a supplier? 

We're not asking the outside firm to create a final product for us, just an ingredient. But in the way we're thinking about it now, since it is a unique, hard-to-find ingredient, that we would provide the recipe, production guidance, and legal support for the manufacturer. I feel like we're blurring the line between a contract manufacturer and an ingredient supplier, but I'm not sure how to call it. Maybe contract manufacturer refers just to finished, ready-to-sell product, but that's not clear in the code (or I missed it).

Thanks!  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

A contract manufacturer is one that either makes your product and packages it into your branded packaging or packs a product into your branded packaging.

Either way and for all intents and purposes it appears to the consumer to come from your company even though made/packed by another company.

The major requirement is that a contract manufacturer will need to be SQF certified like your company is, or any GFSI Cert or as the last resort mirror all the requirements of your SQF program - my feeling is if a company is going to do that they might as well get certified.

I have a client that has five contract manufacturers and each one is SQF or BRC certified.  

There are a couple of other requirements for a contract manufacturer as well, such as agreements, etc.

What you have there however is not a contract manufacturer, just a supplier and if you send your secret ingredient list to them you better have a strong non-disclosure in place.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 18 December 2019 - 07:13 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

oigdaym8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

Good Morning

Our company obtains ingredients from outside sources for manufacturing our finished products and we consider them to be suppliers. This was also a topic that came up during our recent SQF re-certificaiton and the auditor held the same opinion. 

Hope this helps! 

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

They are a raw material supplier. They are providing a finished product that you will use to complete your finished product. No different than a packaging supplier that uses raw materials to make their packaging (paper or plastic, inks, adhesives etc.). They wouldn't be considered a contract manufacturer, they are a supplier to your finished product.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supplier Approval, Contract Manufacturing, Raw Ingredients, SQF Safety, SQF Quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users