• Quick Navigation
Photo

Soap & Sanitize Dispensers - Touch vs no touch

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Touch vs Tough-less (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use touch or touch-less soap & sanitize dispensers in your facility?

1. Touch (Manual) (13 votes [59.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

2. Touch-Less (Automatic) (9 votes [40.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

Hello all, 

We are SQF certified and currently have manual soap and sanitize dispensers in our facility which we buy bulk soap and sanitizer to refill. I recently looked into getting touch-less units to replace our current units and upon doing so, a vendor I reached out to said he has thought and noticed that everyone that is SQF is switching to touch-less. Now, I know no where in the standard it says specifically you need to use touch-less but it is a choice to do so anyways? Our facility has been audited for 5+ years against the SQF code and it was never brought up by any auditor. Just looking for other opinions and comments while we look at this change. 

Thank you all! 

Mark.V

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:03 PM

Hello!

Our facility is also SQF Certified and we use manual soap/sanitizer dispensers. We manufacture low risk vegetable products; therefore, we do not need to invest in touch-less dispensers. Your vendor may be right (as I do not have those stats) that facilities are moving towards touch-less dispensers due to cleanliness, modern appeal and other benefits... but you are also right in that they are not an SQF requirement.

I believe it is a facility dependent choice focusing on risk. You are not wrong for choosing manual dispensers if the risk of using them is low in your facility.  :)

Mark

Edited by Mark.V, 19 December 2019 - 06:05 PM.

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

This is the exact response I was hoping to get! We are a low risk facility, packaging RTE dry snack foods (some are not exposed at all). It is a very large cost to switch to touch-less and although they are nice, it's not something I want to spend our money on if I don't have to. 

Thanks for the input!! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

Hello all, 

We are SQF certified and currently have manual soap and sanitize dispensers in our facility which we buy bulk soap and sanitizer to refill. I recently looked into getting touch-less units to replace our current units and upon doing so, a vendor I reached out to said he has thought and noticed that everyone that is SQF is switching to touch-less. Now, I know no where in the standard it says specifically you need to use touch-less but it is a choice to do so anyways? Our facility has been audited for 5+ years against the SQF code and it was never brought up by any auditor. Just looking for other opinions and comments while we look at this change. 

Thank you all! 

If you have high risk areas and fall under Module 11 - this is the requirement for hands free

11.3.2.3 The following additional facilities shall be provided in high risk areas: i. Hands free operated taps; and ii. Hand sanitizers.

Now, in the event you do have high risk areas, it just means that your auditor has missed it - but that doesn't mean you are off the hook.

And yes, I agree with the provider of sinks - the trend is moving away from touch to no touch, most of our clients are no touch and about 1/2 are low risk.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

If you have high risk areas and fall under Module 11 - this is the requirement for hands free

11.3.2.3 The following additional facilities shall be provided in high risk areas: i. Hands free operated taps; and ii. Hand sanitizers.

Now, in the event you do have high risk areas, it just means that your auditor has missed it - but that doesn't mean you are off the hook.

And yes, I agree with the provider of sinks - the trend is moving away from touch to no touch, most of our clients are no touch and about 1/2 are low risk.

Thank you for the information. We do have hands free taps throughout the facility, just not hands free soap and sanitizer units. I suppose we could at least go hands free with our dispensers inside the processing rooms as a step in that direction. And yes, we follow module 11 but I wouldn't consider our process high risk. Again, like you said, still doesn't hurt to move in that direction anyways! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

Thank you for the information. We do have hands free taps throughout the facility, just not hands free soap and sanitizer units. I suppose we could at least go hands free with our dispensers inside the processing rooms as a step in that direction. And yes, we follow module 11 but I wouldn't consider our process high risk. Again, like you said, still doesn't hurt to move in that direction anyways! 

Most of our clients have sensor dispensers installed either with infrared wall panes or built into the dispensor and battery operated or solar.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

My question on this whole thing is: If you require touch free soap dispensers, touch free taps and paper towels would be absolutely necessary. If you dispense soap you are (theoretically) about to properly wash your hands. If the soap dispenser is "contaminated" big deal, you're about to wash your hands. What gets me is you wash your hands then touch a potentially contaminated tap handle or paper towel dispenser immediately after, unless all employees wash, get paper towel, dry hands then turn off tap with paper towel then discard paper towel and how often does that happen?

ahmed mohamed

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I think this varies with the different food processing areas within the facility....

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users