• Quick Navigation
Photo

Impact of new off-site warehouse on system?

Share this

Best Answer , 08 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

We are also a packaging manufacturer, had another storage building a block away and just purchased an additional building right next door to that. If you use it to store raw materials and / or WIP, you might need to do a little extra work to it or prepare the items being stored (wrap or otherwise cover them) but if just storing finished goods our auditor informed us that the requirements we mostly condition, cleaning and maintenance since there is no manufacturing done there. We opted for making it suitable for everything except manufacturing. We skinned the inside and sealed it from the outside, pest proofed the docks, added lighting, cleaned and repaired the floors, added it to our master cleaning schedule and passed the first year and every other year since. Plans are to do the same to the new building.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Jean Carmona

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:09 PM

Hello Everyone, hope some of you guys are bored this days off and can help me out a little here.   :roflmao:

Management got a warehouse like 5 miles away of the production facility due to space issues, we have our own truck to transport our final product to the warehouse, can someone give me a hand here? what do i need to do to comply with requirements and how does this new warehouse impacts the system already developed?

We produce food packaging for meat but our products are not ready to eat, we dont handle food, also nothing related with temperatures. it's just packaging.

Thanks and happy new year for everyone!!  :sorcerer:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:36 PM

"what do i need to do to comply with requirements and how does this new warehouse impacts the system already developed?"

Call your CB and let them know about it, location, etc. 

The warehouse falls under the compliance requirements of the SQF Code as it applies to your main facility.

The CB may want to send an Auditor out to inspect now, but most times they will hold off until your next audit date.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:31 PM   Best Answer

We are also a packaging manufacturer, had another storage building a block away and just purchased an additional building right next door to that. If you use it to store raw materials and / or WIP, you might need to do a little extra work to it or prepare the items being stored (wrap or otherwise cover them) but if just storing finished goods our auditor informed us that the requirements we mostly condition, cleaning and maintenance since there is no manufacturing done there. We opted for making it suitable for everything except manufacturing. We skinned the inside and sealed it from the outside, pest proofed the docks, added lighting, cleaned and repaired the floors, added it to our master cleaning schedule and passed the first year and every other year since. Plans are to do the same to the new building.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jean Carmona

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

Mr. Hoosiersmoker, thanks for your reply this is similar to what i've thought, we will just put final product in that warehouse and our product is stored in bags and boxes. So i think the same measures you took will do for me as well.

Did you had to modify or update your HACCP to show at the end of the flowchart that you are taking the product to another warehouse? Do you need to use an inspect sheet for the truck that you are using to transport the goods for those blocks? or they didn't require that?

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

Mr. Hoosiersmoker, thanks for your reply this is similar to what i've thought, we will just put final product in that warehouse and our product is stored in bags and boxes. So i think the same measures you took will do for me as well.

Did you had to modify or update your HACCP to show at the end of the flowchart that you are taking the product to another warehouse? Do you need to use an inspect sheet for the truck that you are using to transport the goods for those blocks? or they didn't require that?

"Did you had to modify or update your HACCP to show at the end of the flowchart that you are taking the product to another warehouse?" No, our HACCP shows the finished product being moved to storage / warehouse

"Do you need to use an inspect sheet for the truck that you are using to transport the goods for those blocks?" The truck is on an inspection / cleaning schedule and the risk for contamination is very low due to product already being packaged for shipment.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users